• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

New member with a question...

HooToTheCore

Reaction score
Hi all. I have a '70 Challenger convertible. Originally a 318, I'm in the process of swapping in a '71 440 I've had lying around since '85 (out of an Imperial that I wrecked). During this process I decided to restore the engine compartment and windshield frame. My issue follows.

I disassembled the windshield trim and removed the windshield to cure some rust in the lower corners about a year ago, and I'm reassembling the windshield trim in preparation for installing the windshield. Something doesn't seem right about the A-pillar trim. The stainless piece that surrounds the a-pillar has a gap between it and the piece that hold the rubber for the door window seal. This gap allows the painted frame to show through. The gap is widest at the top of the a-pillar, then narrows in the middle and widens slightly at the bottom. I've attached a picture.

Is this correct or am I missing another seal or something
IMG_3159.JPG
IMG_3161.JPG
?

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from the Motor City! I'll have a look at my '71 to see if it's the same. I wouldn't mind seeing some more pics of your car and hearing some details.

HooToTheCore

Reaction score
I started the rebuild of this engine in late 2011. Had the block machined and bored 40 over. Had the heads and valves done with the springs for the new cam I installed (specs close to HP 440 of that era). I assembled the engine and bought the Challenger in 2012. Started the engine swap in July of 2014. The 727 transmission was sitting in my garage since being pulled in 1985 (original to the 440). I drained the fluid and cleaned the outside of the trans, bolted it up to the finished motor and hooked everything up. The engine runs great and the tranny works (at least it will move the car forward and backward).

340challconvert

Reaction score
HooToTheCore
Some pics of my 70 Challenger A66 vert moldings
Car never apart
Hope they help!
Dino2 (1).gif

vert fr window molding.JPG

vert molding closeup 2.JPG

vert molding closeup.JPG

Attachments

• vert fr molding.JPG
    217.1 KB · Views: 172

HooToTheCore

Reaction score
HooToTheCore
Some pics of my 70 Challenger A66 vert moldings
Car never apart
Hope they help!

Thank you, thank you! Your pictures confirm that I have reassembled the trim correctly. Only difference is that my windshield frame was painted across the top when the body shop cleaned it up and some white shows through along with some flat black.

Do you (or anyone) know what type of screws attach the stainless trim on top of the windshield frame? I bought some stainless #8 3/4 inch oval head screws, but the heads seem a little big for the counter sunk holes in the trim. I could try #6 screws. Are the correct ones the screws with a shank between the threads and head?

Last edited:

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Thanks Paharamia, by the time I made it to my shop yesterday I forgot to look. If I remember, I'll pull one of my trim screws when I get to the shop today but we've now seen how that went the the first time...
The engine room looks great btw.

Back