• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

newb

JoeS

Reaction score
Hey, new to the e body side but ive got the bug

been doing some looking and Mopar seems to be the only one that you could really get any option on any car making it super hard to grasp the basics haha

where is a good place to ask a ton of noob questions?

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from the Motor City! What type of questions? Tech or general?

moparlee

Reaction score
:welcome: Aboard! Go the to the list of categories in the Forums tab and just fire away. There will be someone here to help you out.

JoeS

Reaction score
Thanks all

i did a search and maybe i just didn't dig far enough back

but im looking at a project 1970 challenger 383 column shift a/c car. no fender tag. js23n0b vin
has the trans, 8 3/4 diff and most of the parts the seller says

the seller has it listed as a R/T car but the column shift ,no fender tag/ build sheet and the flat hood makes me wondering how you would tell if it is a true RT car

from the bit of googling i did S should mean its a special, is that the same as a Special edition?
if it was a SE car, should of it also been a vinyl top car with a small rear window?
what is the difference between a hard top and a sports hard top?

EV2&Q5

Reaction score
Look at the vin on the dashboard just under the windshield on the drivers side or on the door on the drivers side. Don't worry about the flat hood.

js23n0b is a 1970 R/T with a 383. Column shift, while not all that common has been found in many R/Ts. This link should help you identify your car.

Dodge Challenger Specs - Challenger VIN Decoder

Hope this a start. You should have at least three serial number locations on the car to make sure its a 'real' R/T.

JoeS

Reaction score
so it should also come with the rally pack dash?

moparleo

Reaction score
:welcome: aboard. Start your subscriptions to Mopar Collectors Guide, Mopar Muscle, Mopar Action, Chrysler Power, maybe Hemmings Motor news,
Dodge Challenger Specs - 1970 Challenger
Point is to educate yourself. We are all always learning new things about our Mopars. "Knowledge is power" is an old quote but very true. There are good books out there on E-bodies and there was a lot of crossover on the Challengers and Barracuda's mechanical wise so don't limit yourself to just one model when you do research. That should keep you busy and give you access to a lot of answers to questions you may have. Support our Mopar magazines and such. This is the future of our hobby.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Hello Joe and welcome to FEBO from New Jersey
A lot of good people here who can help out. As Leo suggested, read the Mopar magazines. I like Mopar Action which has a lot of technical information from an old time Mopar writer/technician, Rick Ehrenberg.
A JS Challenger (RT) would have the rallye dash, though it could have been ordered with any V8 car. As others have said, your dash plate is a good place to start with the VIN decoder. Here is the list of options for Mopars by code;
MyMopar.com - 1969-1971 Mopar Option Codes
Best of luck.
Dino2 (1).gif

Last edited:

JoeS

Reaction score
now what about an opinion question? where would i find if a car is priced fair

EV2&Q5

Reaction score
Its like that old saying. Its worth what someone is willing to pay. All old cars have problems. Even those shiny ones from those that advertise on those collector car dealer sites.
But for your Mopar questions you have to decide if you want to build or buy one the way you would like it. Or a numbers matching car which is going to cost money. You have already made up your mind on an E body so expect to pay more than an A or B body in most cases.
First off start a new conversation in the General Mopar section. Then...
Always start with VIN and rust. I would start with researching VIN lookup web sites. Find a car, go to the web page a plug in the vin. It will tell you what you are looking at. Rust. trunk floors. Floor boards. rear fender wells. California/Arizona/Nevada car? or North/South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin car.
And never buy a car without looking at in person.

340challconvert

Reaction score
You can start with the classified here on FEBO, deals come up at times for cars that may need work. You can also post a car wanted ad here.
Secondly try; www.Carsonline, and/or Craigslist. Carsonline has a project section that sometimes has something interesting.
My last choice would be e bay, though again deals pop up sometimes.
Best bet is to keep checking the different sites for deals.
Dealers are probably the toughest option for a good deal.
I know you want a 1970 but; The 72-74 Challengers can be priced more reasonable.
Do you have a price range in mind for the 1970 purchase?

Here is a project 70 Challenger RT in central New Jersey for 12.9K
1970 DODGE CHALLENGER R/T 383 MATCHING NUMBERS
Also posted on e bay.
Best of luck with your search!
Dino2 (1).gif

Last edited:

JoeS

Reaction score
im going cheep to keep the ball n chain happy. their is a 70 challenger like that one above listed for 6500, no motor tho :S found a local 70 aar cuda that is more together but rotten as all hell for 10k. i thought old F bodys rotted bad till i started to look at the e bodys

i have been lurking all over to keep a eye open for something for sale and this place seems to have the most already asked questions and knowledge for someone to read up on

Back