• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

No oil pressure on start up

Tom Frost

Reaction score
Had my 1995 Magnum 360 refreshed by top-notch pro. builder. Filled oil filter, added oil and zinc and fired up. No oil pressure. Buddy claims the distributor drive shaft is wrong length (stock Mopar dizzy) but I think all small block LA and Magnum distr. shafts are the same length. Any ideas?

moparleo

Reaction score
Pull the distributor and do what really should be done on all new engines. Get a priming rod or the proper sized allen ended socket/extension and pre-pressure lube the engine to assure oiling to all bearings etc...
This will immediately tell you if the oil pump is functioning properly..

Attachments

• 31-340-DISTRIBUTOR-DRIVE-GEAR-ALIGNMENT (2).pdf
    1 MB · Views: 141

Tom Frost

Reaction score
Pull the distributor and do what really should be done on all new engines. Get a priming rod or the proper sized allen ended socket/extension and pre-pressure lube the engine to assure oiling to all bearings etc...
This will immediately tell you if the oil pump is functioning properly..
We did prime the engine with oil using a drill. Thanks for the reply.

70chall440

Reaction score
Just for clarity, the distributor does not drive the oil pump gear, the cam does and turns the distributor at the same time. The distributor helps keep the gear where it needs to be so even if the distributor shaft was worn it has nothing to do with your oil pressure assuming you had pressure when you primed it using a drill.

Not to be a dick but if this guy is a "top notch engine builder" then why is any of this a mystery? Any engine builder who has been at it more than a little while has had to deal with problems but knows how to correct or circumvent them (if needed). If you said the engine wasn't running right and he said the shaft was bad, well that might be in the ball park but again, has nothing to do with oil pressure.

Tom Frost

Reaction score
Just for clarity, the distributor does not drive the oil pump gear, the cam does and turns the distributor at the same time. The distributor helps keep the gear where it needs to be so even if the distributor shaft was worn it has nothing to do with your oil pressure assuming you had pressure when you primed it using a drill.

Not to be a dick but if this guy is a "top notch engine builder" then why is any of this a mystery? Any engine builder who has been at it more than a little while has had to deal with problems but knows how to correct or circumvent them (if needed). If you said the engine wasn't running right and he said the shaft was bad, well that might be in the ball park but again, has nothing to do with oil pressure.
Agree. We'll see what he says tomorrow. Got a feeling he had an underling refeshen my engine...and the kid screwed up something or left something out. What a PITA to pull it all again with fresh paint.

Tom Frost

Reaction score
Agree. We'll see what he says tomorrow. Got a feeling he had an underling refeshen my engine...and the kid screwed up something or left something out. What a PITA to pull it all again with fresh paint.

Attachments

• 360 Magnum(2).jpg
    360 Magnum(2).jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 183

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Smart move. I also used Mechanical gauge for start up and break in.pull valve coves and check to see if you have oil on both banks. Hope the crank clearance is right. Oil pump gasket? oil filer gasket or obstruction.

moparleo

Reaction score
Also for more clarity on my post , the "priming rod" does go into the top of the oil pump. You must remove the cam gear drive first. I posted the section of the service manual showing how it (cam gear drive" is properly installed.
Just for others info The oil pump attaches to the rear main cap in side the oil pan, flip over and then install the oil pump drive shaft/cam gear. After properly indexed you install the distributor itself.
The cam drives the oil pump drive shaft. The distributor just sits on top of the shaft.

If you were spinning the oil pump for 2 minutes and got no pressure, why would you install the distributor and start it ???

Common error on the LA/Magnum blocks is to forget to install a oil galley plug in the rear of the block.

Attachments

• sb oil pump drive alignment install.pdf
    621.3 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

Tom Frost

Reaction score
Also for more clarity on my post , the "priming rod" does go into the top of the oil pump. You must remove the cam gear drive first. I posted the section of the service manual showing how it (cam gear drive" is properly installed.
Just for others info The oil pump attaches to the rear main cap in side the oil pan, flip over and then install the oil pump drive shaft/cam gear. After properly indexed you install the distributor itself.
The cam drives the oil pump drive shaft. The distributor just sits on top of the shaft.

If you were spinning the oil pump for 2 minutes and got no pressure, why would you install the distributor and start it ???

Common error on the LA/Magnum blocks is to forget to install a oil galley plug in the rear of the block.

We spun the engine for two minutes AFTER the no start....got no pressure, so didn't start it.

heminut

Reaction score
If you use the priming rod with a drill you should be able to feel it when the oil pump starts picking up and pumping oil, it will pull the drill rpm's down.

budascuda

Reaction score
Hey Leo, does the engine have to come out of the car or the little plug can be installed (if it was forgotten) with the engine still in the car?

70chall440

Reaction score
Got this off the interweb

There is a cup plug in the between the oil filter in/out located in the main line from the oil pump, a 1/4"npt plug under the oil filter adaptor, 3/8" plug at the right rear galley, 1/4 "plug (This one is left out sometimes and can be see through the distributor hole) located under a 3/8" cover plug at the left rear

budascuda

Reaction score
Got this off the interweb

There is a cup plug in the between the oil filter in/out located in the main line from the oil pump, a 1/4"npt plug under the oil filter adaptor, 3/8" plug at the right rear galley, 1/4 "plug (This one is left out sometimes and can be see through the distributor hole) located under a 3/8" cover plug at the left rear
Yes, that's the one i am talking about, it was in Leo's post also..

budascuda

Reaction score
The other 2 are accessible with the engine in (one under the timing cover and one under the the filter
Ok thanks very much 70chall440.
Tom, sorry you have to go through this, at the same time, how can people avoid having an "underling" doing the work that's supposed to be done by a professional with a good reputation?
I always do my own work, figuring i can never be as bad as an "underling".
Good luck Tom, with a bit of pain, it will be corrected.

Back