• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Off brand Header compatibility.

bullet18

Reaction score
I found these 3" collector big block headers on ebay for 180 bucks with shipping. The seller, riderightparts/Bous performance is supposedly a wholesaler and sells abunch of parts for really cheap. They say the headers look like they require a little clearancing to work with power steering. I was wondering if anyone had bought similar headers and knew how bad i would have to beat them to fit. Ive got a 70 challenger with a 76 motorhome 440 with a giant starter, no a/c, 727 floor shift. Ill try to get more dimensions on the headers. Its probably a stupid question but id figure id ask just to see. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Screenshot_20180316-080214.png

moparlee

Reaction score
Ask them what brand the headers are. Some how they already know that you are going to have fitment issues. You would more than likely need to change out your starter for a mini. Just my opinion, see what others have to say.

Adam

Reaction score
180 plus shipping; then you find they don’t fit, leak, rust, etc.

Don’t buy them; and consider that a discount on quality headers...

bullet18

Reaction score
180 plus shipping; then you find they don’t fit, leak, rust, etc.

Don’t buy them; and consider that a discount on quality headers...
I would buy more expensive headers if i had the money but im still in highschool and i bought my car for literally 2 grand and my 440 for 650 so spending 500-700 on headers is out of my budget. If i cant get these to work ill buy block huggers for 90 and fabricate the rest.

Last edited:

bullet18

Reaction score
Apparently theyre "very similar" to summit racing SUM-G9041 headers. I assume theres some non disclosure agreement where they cant say theyre the same part like with goodmark and sherman sheetmetal.

Steve340

Reaction score
Block huggers perform worse than stock manifolds in some of the tests I have seen on YouTube.
If you have a limited budget buy them. With a bit of work/mods anything can be made to work.
Who knows they may fit straight up no problems.

bullet18

Reaction score
Block huggers perform worse than stock manifolds in some of the tests I have seen on YouTube.
If you have a limited budget buy them. With a bit of work/mods anything can be made to work.
Who knows they may fit straight up no problems.
Alright, will do.
Thanks!

Adam

Reaction score
Good to see a High school kid who has interest in the old iron, good luck with your build!

Where are you located?

bullet18

Reaction score
Good to see a High school kid who has interest in the old iron, good luck with your build!

Where are you located?
Thanks! Im in west michigan. 25 mins north of grand rapids.

moparleo

Reaction score
Would you buy them if they were for a Chevy ? Point being if you buy them and they don't work, how much are they worth ? Instead of spending
$280.00 (180. plus 90.) You can just buy the block huggers or have some patience and save your money so you can buy the right thing. It is more economical to buy the correct item once, than to buy something that you are just going to end up replacing because it does not fit or is not what you really wanted.

bullet18

Reaction score
Would you buy them if they were for a Chevy ? Point being if you buy them and they don't work, how much are they worth ? Instead of spending
$280.00 (180. plus 90.) You can just buy the block huggers or have some patience and save your money so you can buy the right thing. It is more economical to buy the correct item once, than to buy something that you are just going to end up replacing because it does not fit or is not what you really wanted.
I meant if i found out prior to buying them that they wouldnt work id go with block huggers. If i bought them and found out they didnt work id probably "modify" them untill they did. Obviously i want to avoid that which is why im asking around. The reason i have such a small budget is because ive got to spend money on the rest of the car. At the moment i still need to do the fuel, electric and brake systems not to mention actually putting the engine in and all the miscellaneous expenses involved with that. I looked into these because i figured id put full length headers on it eventually anyway so i might as well do it now if theyre that cheap.

bullet18

Reaction score
People don't sell things cheap because they like you. If it is not on the road now. fix something else for now and go back to the engine later.
Thats what im doing. I just welded the upper control arm bump stop to the new frame rail and wire brushed and painted all of my suspension parts. Theres plenty of work to get done before i get to headers i just thought id look into these in my spare time at school when i cant work on my car.

rbbruno3

Reaction score
I’ve got a set of headers that were on my 383 Challenger with power steering oem starter. I’ll see what shape they are in I’ll give you to help a young car guy out. Just don’t know about shipping, might be to expensive because of the size. Heading to NY anytime soon? Rick

bullet18

Reaction score
I’ve got a set of headers that were on my 383 Challenger with power steering oem starter. I’ll see what shape they are in I’ll give you to help a young car guy out. Just don’t know about shipping, might be to expensive because of the size. Heading to NY anytime soon? Rick
Wow thanks! As long as theres not any holes in them theyre fine condition wise. As for shipping im not gonna be in New York any time soon but i can send you some money through paypal for shipping as long as its not too much. I probably won't be too bad as i got my floor shipped from georgia for 130 and its huge and you can pick the slowest shipping option . If you package it as small as possible thatll help. Thanks!

rbbruno3

Reaction score
I’ll try to get out to the shop and pull them out will need a ZIP Code to figure shipping

rbbruno3

Reaction score
04264762-2D36-433F-A940-2B786F0DAF36.jpeg
Here is what I have, pass side no dents driver side both center pipes have been dented some for plug clearance. Pretty solid just clean and paint

bullet18

Reaction score
View attachment 48215 Here is what I have, pass side no dents driver side both center pipes have been dented some for plug clearance. Pretty solid just clean and paint
Awesome. If theres one thing im experienced at its cleaning things up and painting them. Do you know the collector diameter so i know what adapters i need to look for?

20180321_152933.jpg

20180321_164234.jpg

rbbruno3

Reaction score
They are 3” not sure what they were reduced to. threw them in the box not the greatest but might work for you. Just have to get a shipping quote tomorrow, stopped today but the PO is closed between 1and 2. PM me your street address and name. I’ll check with UPS too. Have a friend who has a UPS pickups.

bullet18

Reaction score
They are 3” not sure what they were reduced to. threw them in the box not the greatest but might work for you. Just have to get a shipping quote tomorrow, stopped today but the PO is closed between 1and 2. PM me your street address and name. I’ll check with UPS too. Have a friend who has a UPS pickups.
Pm sent.

Back