• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Oil Filter Leak/Too Much Pressure?

money pit

Reaction score
I just had my 74 360 rebuilt. I installed the engine, it runs great. At idle, it has about 80 psi oil pressure (new Autometer mech gauge). I noticed that my oil filter leaks. I changed the filter twice. The filter is hand tightened, gasket lubed. When I look at where the filter is attached, it doesn't look right. It doesn't look like I have the right filter. I'm using a Fram Ph 43. Before that I had a Wix filter. Is the oil pressure too high? Could this be causing the filter to leak? I have some pics of the oil filter. Thanks

20190622_102816.jpg

20190622_120505.jpg

Reaction score
80 is pretty high but is shouldn’t leak. Tighten the WIX filter a bit with the wrench and see what happens. Just say no to Fram filters. PH43 is a good number, it is short, and a PH8A is long, if you have room use the long one.

Does that plate on the block have a gasket behind it?

Last edited:

money pit

Reaction score
80 is pretty high but is shouldn’t leak. Tighten the WIX filter a bit with the wrench and see what happens. Just say no to Fram filters. PH43 is a good number, it is short, and a PH8A is long, if you have room use the long one.

Does that plate on the block have a gasket behind it?
Not sure about the gasket. I'll try another Wix. Thanks

michael

Reaction score
I'm a big believer in Six filters...hand tighten as much as you can and just give it a little more with a filter wrench...I have never had leaks.

Back