• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Oil filter

Joemoy29

Reaction score
what oil filter is everyone running on their small blocks

Thank you

aussiemark

Reaction score
Don't know if you can get them for our cars but I have been reading about oil filters with magnets inside to help trap metallic particles/ paste.

BcudaChris

Reaction score
what oil filter is everyone running on their small blocks

Thank you

Purlator One PL30001 for run in and 1st oil change
Mopar MO90 from 1st oil change on.

Pondering switching to one of the filters used on the 80's 2.2/2.5 cars (WIX 51085XP) because headers. They have much less filter surface area, but once I hit 5K miles and switch to synthetic and a quarterly oil change cycle, regardless of mileage, I don't think it will be a big deal.

I'm at about 1.5K now and on my third run of oil (break in oil for run in and 5W30 conventional now). I changed it right after run in, and at 500mi. Now that I have the carb dialed and indications are the rings have sealed, I'm going to change the oil again to get a real read on how long it stays clean.

I don't know your purposes but for street duty, I'd say you can't go wrong with any premium filter. I like Wix, Mopar, Motorcraft (I know, I know), to name a few. K&N's are cool because they have the nut like an aircraft oil filter, and the little tab for safety wire. Mopar and Motorcraft and K&N also have the advantage of being on a shelf at any wal-mart in the country. That is the reason I'll probably use Royal Purple when I go to synthetic.

I hope my verbosity is helpful.

moparleo

Reaction score
Get a 45 degree filter adapter and use the longest one that will fit. More filtration area always a good thing. WIX are good. Just change them regularly. Go by the time, not necessarily the mileage unless it is your daily driver. It is the acids and contaminates that do the most harm to the internals and seals. And cars that are not driven regularly (just started up every month) are the worst as they build unburned fuel, moisture from not being driven long enough to bring up the engine and all the fluids to proper operating temperatures which will evaporate a lot of the moistures and allow the fluids to do their jobs. . Look at the tail pipe a few minutes after you start the car in the morning. Wonder what all the moisture came from ?

Last edited:

moparcop

Reaction score
I used to run FRAM, PH8A specifically for my big block....until I did a little research and saw some online comparisons where they actually took them apart to see the inner workings. The FRAM filters were complete garbage in every way. Only reason I ran them at all was because the orange color matched the engine paint and I figured a filter is a filter....WRONG!! Best bang for the buck IMO are the NAPA Gold.

Back