• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

oil in clutch area

Lee W.

Reaction score
photo of oil on trans & pressureplate

IMG_2086 (1).JPG

IMG_2088 (1).JPG

Lee W.

Reaction score
very light oil at where the main meets the oil pan. most or the oil splatter on the bell housing is on the clutch side of the flywheel . is it possible for oil to leak out the nose of the tranny behind the splines?

fasjac

Reaction score
It is. There should be a seal behind the retainer sleeve. I would replace just because you’re already there.

fasjac

Reaction score
It is. There should be a seal behind the retainer sleeve. I would replace just because you’re already there.
As you know, time for a pressure plate, disc, t/o bearing etc, I would have the flywheel machined as it appears to have hot spots. If you see any hairline cracks, then replace the flywheel. The rear main is easily accessible while everything is apart. Just good insurance

34E1CCD5-C06E-4F34-A149-6C9C1EC1C664.png

fasjac

Reaction score
You can do it. It’s in the back of the sleeve.
Check the end play of the input bearing. It it’s extreme, it could be time for tranny work. Did you hear any excessive bearing noise while driving?

fasjac

Reaction score
Check the end play of the input bearing. It it’s extreme, it could be time for tranny work. Did you hear any excessive bearing noise while driving?
I would suggest downloading the factory repair manual. It’s free at mymopar.com
Good to have if you don’t have a hard copy on hand.

Lee W.

Reaction score
I already have new ACT clutch & pressure plate also the flywheel was heat cracked so I bought a new one. Just did not want to put all that in and get oil on them. you suggested rear main seal. do i have to pull the pan to get to it?

fasjac

Reaction score
That’s no problem. The manual is so helpful to have at your finger tips.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Well I have often seen oil leak down from the oil line or pressure sender at the rear of the block so check there
To have oil leaking from the rear main seal it is virtually impossible to get to the other side of the flywheel & contaminate the clutch & oil coming out of the trans would get onto the clutch but the trans would be low on oil very quickly .
I am not sure what you have for an engine in front of the trans but that diaphragm clutch is not doing its job at all , it has been slipping a lot to have heat spots everywhere like that !
Really you need a new unit & might be able to save the flywheel depending on crack depth etc . I have had far better success with 3 finger clutches , I usually buy from McLeod as this is the factory style & the pressure can be controlled better using various amounts & pressure coil springs , they even have street twins if you have a 512 stroker with massive tq output for example .

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Do the front trans seal yourself , it is easy to change just remove the 4 bolts & slide the retainer off & change the seal , make sure you use a sealant on the bolts when you put them back in so no oil seeps through the treads .

Lee W.

Reaction score
I finally got around to changing the clutch, pressure plate & fly wheel. Clutch & pressure is from ACT. Engine is a 440. my new problem now is when I slip the clutch to take off slowly it is real grabby & chatters until full out. is there a brake in procedure to follow or am I in Trouble again?

Back