• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Oil pan swap out

TMEFASC

Reaction score
Trying to install a Milidon Deep Sump 7 quart Oil pan on for 40 stroker motor. Removed old oil pick up and tube. Went to install new oil pick up tube and thread/tube size it is larger in diameter Then the pick up that I took out. Motor makes about 650 HP it is a 10:1 compression motor Do I need to just get a smaller oil pick up tube or does it need that volume of oil for this type of motor

tonysrt

Reaction score
Stock 440's had a 3/8 pipe pick up. Evidently you're new pick up is 1/2" pipe. It was recommended when rebuilding them, 440's, to open up pick up to 1/2 size. If engine is in car it would be very difficult to attain the size needed for new pick up. It is a plumbing size pipe thread. You have to drill out the smaller size and tap the hole to 1/2". Adapters would make it too long and place pick up in wrong spot. Maybe see if you can have new pick up resized to 3/8 or if Milodon has a 3/8 pick up for use in that pan.

TMEFASC

Reaction score
I apologize for not reviewing my post it is actually supposed to be a 440 stroker motor that is now about 500 in
Stock 440's had a 3/8 pipe pick up. Evidently you're new pick up is 1/2" pipe. It was recommended when rebuilding them, 440's, to open up pick up to 1/2 size. If engine is in car it would be very difficult to attain the size needed for new pick up. It is a plumbing size pipe thread. You have to drill out the smaller size and tap the hole to 1/2". Adapters would make it too long and place pick up in wrong spot. Maybe see if you can have new pick up resized to 3/8 or if Milodon has a 3/8 pick up for use in that pan.
Thank you Tony for following up with me on that question I was thinking that I could probably find it a 3/8” Milidon tube My only concern with that is The stock pick up is about as big around as a baseball where as the milling on one is about half the size it’s kind of square as opposed to round. I’m sure if They have a 3/8” version Of that tube and pick up the actual pick up screen/area would probably be substantially bigger due to the fact that the tube size is smaller. I guess I will check summit racing or Jegs To see if they have a 3/8” with a larger pick up.

Thank you

Back