• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Old thermo-quads

fasjac

Reaction score
Found a could old carbs the other day. I’ve always liked these probably because of my 383 Roadrunner had one. And I was hard to beat. Most likely the 4.30 gears. Anyway, wanted show those that didn’t know, how good simple green works after soaking one overnight. These were out in the barn and mice had set up camp. I’ve never rebuilt one of these. I am going to do the old one without the solenoid. Maybe.

60B921A7-57B1-4A5A-B9CA-3DFA0009EB41.jpeg

493B97D9-D18B-4E20-95DE-C4DEE0047ADB.jpeg

27396C32-0F73-439F-BA75-CBA3A7B0D6BC.jpeg

E7545559-E908-4D7A-A566-62AEF7F74A16.jpeg

moparleo

Reaction score
The main problem on these were cracks/leaks in the plastic main body. They can be repaired. The plastic main body's purpose was to lower the temperature of the fuel increasing the density of the fuel charge. Effectively, an insulator built into the carburetor. Excellent carburetor, ahead of its time.

Rob C

Reaction score
These are given a bad rap due to it being the most misunderstood carb ever IMO. These carbs are really freakin good. Once adjusted correctly for your specific application, stock or otherwise, these things rock.
Along with the fuel bowl being a potential problem, the throttle shafts can also cause an issue just like any other old carb. Make sure there in good shape (AKA Not peaking air or fuel) and you’ll be good to go.

fasjac

Reaction score
These are given a bad rap due to it being the most misunderstood carb ever IMO. These carbs are really freakin good. Once adjusted correctly for your specific application, stock or otherwise, these things rock.
Along with the fuel bowl being a potential problem, the throttle shafts can also cause an issue just like any other old carb. Make sure there in good shape (AKA Not peaking air or fuel) and you’ll be good to go.

I'm still thinking about rebuilding the oldest one but, haven't been in these before. I've only ran one on a 383 30+ years ago, and remember how much I liked the secondary's opening up and overall performance. Really never had to mess it. The throttle shafts on both are very sticky now.....Not to mention it would just be for my experience and for the stock shelfs if I rebuilt. I also tuned in to a couple youtube videos, they look intimidating but, not really to much to them.

Rob C

Reaction score
You just have to take the time to make sure everything is set to you he factory specs first and then alter it. There easy enough.

Back