• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Only starts with the turn signal engaged

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
I've been having this issue for a while now, my '74 Barracuda only starts with the turn signal engaged. I posted on FABO because I'm more active there, thought I'd throw it up here as well.

Here's what I've got:

1974 Barracuda 440 six barrel, 727
'70 dash with what I assume is a '70 harness
Pretty much all the wiring in the car is in bad shape, including under the dash

Previously, I noticed the car was getting harder to start with the key, so I went to replace the ignition switch. At some point along the way, I bumped the turn signal lever while having the key turned, and it started.

Long story short, after following some advice, I unwrapped the under dash harness to inspect for damage/obvious shorts. Found nothing. Since I planned on replacing this dash with a '71-74 dash anyway, I'm going to start clean with that one. In the meantime, I'm going to try troubleshooting this one because I'm curious as to where the problem lies.

Stay tuned...

G6ryK7MDQ3+X1IcSxFDTRQ.jpg
62s3OALhQda11XC%WLThUA.jpg

cuda joe

Reaction score
wow thats a weird one kind of makes it harder for a thief to steal.. the turn sig probably supplys a ground does it crank over when you have a no start ?

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
I agree, kind of a neat security measure.

It’s weird, sometimes it will crank/no start. Sometimes no crank. Sometimes it will crank and start, but only if you keep the key turned in the start position. And sometimes it starts right up. All of these are only with the turn signal engaged and all change depending on the position of the fuse block.

Fuse block is detached from the bulkhead, because when it was attached, I got no crank at all. I detached it to inspect for loose connections and learned it will start…sometimes.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The problem has to be near the fuse block then , I suspect the yellow wire to the start relay may be the problem

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
I’ll check that wire, thanks. Electrical is not my strong suit — can I ask how I should go about checking it? I’m thinking look for obvious damage, make sure it has a good connection, check for continuity with a meter?

cuda joe

Reaction score
you are on the right track check .. the connections on the steering column plugs too

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
The yellow start wire is easy to follow. Column or consul shift? What comes to mind is yellow wire is getting power from the turn signal switch. some how completing the circuit. You may not have the ing switch feeding it. just a thought. A number of bad connections. make sure all the wires in the column plugs are in the right place.

1970 Challenger Wiring Rallye.jpg

sdcbowler

Reaction score
I would like to ask a question, please. In reference to the diagram above, looking at the ignition switch connector on the dash harness, there are eight wires coming out. The orange wire, I assume is for the lighting circuit. My dash light bar was not working when the lights were turned on. I jumped it at the connector and the fuse block, and they worked. I looked at the ignition connector coming out from the column and noticed the orange wire was not there. I looked at some starter switches online and I did not see any that included the orange wire. In the picture below, the top connector is part of the dash harness. The bottom connector is from the switch in the steering column. You can clearly see the orange wire is missing. I was thinking this is probably why the light bar is not working.....It's not getting power from the ignition switch.

Has anyone else ever noticed the missing orange wire and could that be the reason the light bar and gear selector light is not working?

Thanks

IMG_20230430_113247426[1].jpg

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Here is a different diagram.It's easier to see the the cluster lamp feed. From what I see in your picture. I think the missing orange wire feeds the column gear selector light. If you have one or not.

1972_barracuda_rallye.jpg

sdcbowler

Reaction score
Hi,
I don't have a column shift. I have a floor console.

Thanks

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
I would like to ask a question, please. In reference to the diagram above, looking at the ignition switch connector on the dash harness, there are eight wires coming out. The orange wire, I assume is for the lighting circuit. My dash light bar was not working when the lights were turned on. I jumped it at the connector and the fuse block, and they worked. I looked at the ignition connector coming out from the column and noticed the orange wire was not there. I looked at some starter switches online and I did not see any that included the orange wire. In the picture below, the top connector is part of the dash harness. The bottom connector is from the switch in the steering column. You can clearly see the orange wire is missing. I was thinking this is probably why the light bar is not working.....It's not getting power from the ignition switch.

Has anyone else ever noticed the missing orange wire and could that be the reason the light bar and gear selector light is not working?

Thanks

View attachment 105944
Would you mind starting a new thread regarding your problem so that we don’t get sidetracked?

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
Just so I know.Left or Right turn signal to start? Youll be were when?
Either left or right turn signal starts the engine. Once it’s started, I can disengage the signal and it’ll stay running.

I’m going to see if I can do a little troubleshooting today.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Refresh. 1The engine turns over and won't start until the turn signal is on? 2 engine won't turn over and won't run until the turn signal is on? 1 or 2?

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
Nothing happens when I turn the key until the turn signal is engaged. Once the turn signal is engaged in either direction, the engine starts.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
The red wire 12 r feeds the ignition switch. Ign 1 white blue is for the coil run. ign 2 brown wire is for the the coil for start . look at the diagram you will see them. use a test light at the plug under the column turn key to see if there is power. 12y feeds the starter relay.

Last edited:

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
Okay, I think we’re getting somewhere. I probed IGN2 and the test light was dim, got bright with the key turned. IGN1 was bright with the key in run, no light on IGN1 with the key in start.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
1 Unplug connector Jump power from fuse box to yellow wire car side.see if starter turns over. it won't start no power to coil. 2 Jump power from red to ign 2 brown wire is for the the coil for start and touch to yellow wire to run starter. It will run until the starter is disengaged.

Last edited:
Back