• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Open to Posi Axle Adjustment

dkinworthy

Reaction score
Hello everyone sorry i have not been around more. I have been busy having a new engine built. 487hp. w/ 534 ft lbs torque. so of course on to the next upgrade, I swapped out an open 741 8 3/4 diff for a 742 sure grip posi. my question is... What is the best way to adjust the passenger side axle collar for correct spacing? 1972 Challenger SE

Thx

Cudafever

Reaction score
do you have the pin in the center of the 3d member? they like to fall out!

If its in there so that one axle will push on the other then adj to 0 play with both axle/tire off the ground.

If the pin has fallen out, you won't be able to adj the bearing play out.

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I tap the axle in to seat the opposite axle tight in the race then tighten the adjuster in until there is no play tap the axle again to be sure it is seated & back the adjust out until you can just feel movement , it should only be .010

dkinworthy

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like what I had in mind (Chryco),
except for the pin part? (Cudafever)

Cudafever

Reaction score
This is a clutch style pos Right. If it's a "cone type pos", then never mind. But, if it is a clutch style, there is a two piece nail that goes in side each other and you can stake them to keep'm in place.

If you can see a large disk on each side, were the axle will contact it, when its all the way in then cool!!!!!!

If with both axle remove you can see a hole thru to the other axle tube or you only have one round disk on only one side,.....You have a problem.

Last edited:
Back