• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Organisol Paint

c1968man

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this paint..... just curious on the quality of it does it match the original which was a highly textured semi gloss black look? I would appreciate any info or recommendations as i want to duplicate the original look on the rear tail panel and shaker bubble on my 1971 Cuda. Thanks in advance
MOPAR Textured Organisol- Liquid Quart

Steve340

Reaction score
I think you can get it on Youtube??? Cuda Cody explains how to replicate Organisol.
Check him out he knows his stuff.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
I had my local paint supplier mix me up a quart to paint my old lift off hood on my Coronet.

Coronet pics #2 006 [640x480-2].jpg

Old Mopar

Reaction score
you cannot replicate "real" organisol paint...spoken from a painter who knows ppg formulas. The original texture additive is very unique. Gen 2 of ppd organisol used a different texture additive but it worked. DDL9355

PPG makes a urethane DCC9355 but it is not the same
I have sprayed all 3, the urethane is not even close but works well for other applications. I would look for a ppd dealer who still has a lacquer system...doubtful and go from there. If you have a big wallet i have real and real #2 organisol.

73Machine

Reaction score
I can vouch for his paint. I used the black organisol and the light argent to satisfactorily results.

04D7B574-B3C6-4513-A7EF-9A141B6D0816.jpeg

LIMEGREENAAR

Reaction score
I would just like to add that my AAR when purchased in 1973 with only 16K miles, from a Plymouth dealership, had no gloss in the Organised paint. Also, the tops of the fenders had so much texture it would catch the towel when buffing the wax on th paint below.

71vett4spd

Reaction score
I used acrylic enamel PPG/Dupont mixed with 25% lacquer thinner on the hood of a 71 Duster 340 and IMO came out great. If you get wax on it you can wipe off the wax(within 5 minutes) without any trace of being there.

ctaarman

Reaction score
There are a lot of "formulas" that are proposed to replicate organasol. They all fail the test badly if you park a real organasol painted car next to them. I spent "too much" money to buy two quarts of original a few years back when I redid my AAR, but it was worth it in retrospect for a higher end restoration. It lays down far differently than regular paint. I love the look.

Old Mopar

Reaction score
There are a lot of "formulas" that are proposed to replicate organasol. They all fail the test badly if you park a real organasol painted car next to them. I spent "too much" money to buy two quarts of original a few years back when I redid my AAR, but it was worth it in retrospect for a higher end restoration. It lays down far differently than regular paint. I love the look.
and there you have it...oh yes it lays down very very different...the flow of the paint thru the gun should be opened with a larger nozzle/cap combo as you have to be very carefull because it's at least 150% reduction to spray and laquer thinner may "bite" thru the base coats if it is not the proper base coat.

Last edited:

ctaarman

Reaction score
To my knowledge, nobody makes it now. Original cans are extremely rare. Wish I had a better answer for you.

Radar

Reaction score
The 877 company mopar organasol paint all you can get any more ?
Is it in a spray paint ?
How durable is it I guess it laquar?

Old Mopar

Reaction score
i have expensive organisol and more
pretty sure i have orig and 2nd gen left in qts ppg
I have real texured argent silver DNA8575 irc ppg
and real argent silver rinson mason
all lacquer based paint
I have the black dash suede paint as well
pm me
convince me your car deserves nos paint

Radar

Reaction score
Haha old mopar I don't have a hemi cuda but just small block one.
I been checking out cuda codys stuff what he likes and what he think is best or think is best .
I'm long way from putting the black on the tail panel but trying to get a idea how and what is out there for black paint

Thanks

73Machine

Reaction score
The 877 company mopar organasol paint all you can get any more ?
Is it in a spray paint ?
How durable is it I guess it laquar?
You can get it in an aerosol or a quart if I remember correctly.

JesseJames

Reaction score
I used acrylic enamel PPG/Dupont mixed with 25% lacquer thinner on the hood of a 71 Duster 340 and IMO came out great. If you get wax on it you can wipe off the wax(within 5 minutes) without any trace of being there.
Does adding lacquer thinner to acrylic enamel act as a flattner? what does that do?

JesseJames

Reaction score
I am not being a perfectionist on this build, I am just building a nice driver as close to stock without getting crazy.
I used SEM black trim paint (matte sheen) sprayed wet on wet over a black epoxy primer (acting as a sealer)
the epoxy primer is very thick and i turned my pressure down and held gun distance about 14 inches. this gave it a bit of a orange peel texture. I wasn't trying to get fancy, just wanted a little texture to replicate factory. it kinda worked, but i was very happy with the sheen. it matches my Gull Wing spoiler i got from Dales Cuda shop.

70381079901__7A4DACC9-4D4B-4769-AD90-9E3B4A7803C2.jpg

70381799646__FDC33218-034A-4FF2-8E13-EE6A0B157678.jpg

70381802880__22571DAB-2EB7-4388-9A20-9002F373300D.jpg

Back