• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Overdrive for an 833

Steinman

Reaction score
I have a 73 Challenger with a stroked 340 and 833 4 speed and 323 gears.
Love the car. Hate the high rpm's at cruising speed.
Does anyone know of a Overdrive system that would be fairly simple and not to hard on the billfold?

DrEamer

Reaction score
The one everyone mentions is Gear Vendors. They seem the be a great choice, just expensive at $2750 for the unit and electronics. Other then them, I don't know who even makes a unit that will work. If you get lucky, you may be able to up a used one somewhere.

Steinman

Reaction score
15's with 10" width of rubber on the road.
New Cobra's Yes no trouble glazing the tires.

azmoparboy

Reaction score
Sounds like it all comes down to the all might $$$$$. There has to be a compromise. I built my challenger with a late 833OD and 2.94 in rear. 4th gear at 70 mph, I tach 2000 rpm. These late 833OD 4 speeds are not to expensive and I found a 741 diff to drop in the rear. There are many ways to drop the rpm, it just comes down to $$$$$

gzig5

Reaction score
I had a 77 Aspen RT with 318/A833 OD. That was a nice hwy cruiser. Chicks dug the sliding moon-roof. ;)

Are the first three gear ratios similar in the OD/non-OD trannys? If they are, I think the later transmission would be the way to go as long as the case can be adapted to the e-body.

azmoparboy

Reaction score
The two 833's will look the same. They will plug right into the existing bellhousing. The first 3 gears are a little different. Google the specs, you'll find all the info you need there. Also these 4 speeds we're not meant to race. The main case of the overdrive is made of aluminum. These transmissions were made to do light duty work.

I have my 833OD setup mounted to a very stock 383 with a Fitach 3003 system fuel injection. I get 18 mpg at 70 mph. My car performs just the way I want it to perform. It is no race car.

image.jpeg

Steinman

Reaction score
Sounds like the 833OD may not like a 408 stroker with 450HP?
I know I do not have the willpower or the desire to avoid some smart ass at the light.
Comments?

azmoparboy

Reaction score
There is a way to still have the 833OD. You can change out the aluminum for the steel case. One of my work buddies has this setup on his 1970 roadrunner. Wanted to lower his rpm's as you. Not sure what his tach is showing, but his rear gears were 3:55's

azmoparboy

Reaction score
Hi again, Did some looking on the enternet and found an article from Hot Rod network, titled The ultimate A-833 4 speed fix: Get Overdrive & Strength. Great article on how to get the most out of your A-833. I didn't see a price but it sounds like this up grade is just what you are looking for and it is supposed to take a beating.

Good luck,
AZMoparboy

Steinman

Reaction score
Hi again, Did some looking on the enternet and found an article from Hot Rod network, titled The ultimate A-833 4 speed fix: Get Overdrive & Strength. Great article on how to get the most out of your A-833. I didn't see a price but it sounds like this up grade is just what you are looking for and it is supposed to take a beating.

Good luck,
AZMoparboy

SCHU

Reaction score
I have a 73 Challenger with a stroked 340 and 833 4 speed and 323 gears.
Love the car. Hate the high rpm's at cruising speed.
Does anyone know of a Overdrive system that would be fairly simple and not to hard on the billfold?

SCHU

Reaction score
there is another lower cost solution, if you can do some of your own work to save on the in/out labor, by using rear with 2.94 ratio Hwy gear along with 833 23 spline gear set that has the rare ultra low 1st gear ratio & lower 2nd gear. Thus to can still accelerate with the drivability feeling mare like 3.55 ratio rear. I have the 2.94 ratio Hwy gears in 742 diff and I also have complete trans gear set for sale with the wide ratio complete guts in VGC from a low mileage car.
If you want more info email [email protected]

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I have converted a lot of cars to the A833 OD with the alum case & beat the crap out of them , they are far stronger then anyone gives them credit for , bolt it in , bend the 3/4 shift rod a little , cut the front brg retainer down to 4.80 , slide it in & go

SCHU

Reaction score
My lower cost solution, that will not break :
by using 833 23 spline "non-O.D." ultra wide ratio gear set that has the rare ultra low 3.09 :1 ratio low 1st gear & slightly lower 2nd gear. Again this is not a O.D. gear/ cluster set, as 4th gear is direct 1 :1, teamed up with 8 3/4 rear diff with hwy friendly 2.94 ratio rear gears.
The reason you can break a light duty O.D. trans, is not just because of the weak alum case, it's inherent weakness is because the main shaft has a thin area/ under cut area which will break with 450 HP applied to it.
With my driveline combo package you can still accelerate with the drivability/ acceleration feeling closer to a 3.55 ratio rear, and not break the trans.
I have For Sale this complete trans gear/ cluster set with the wide ratio guts complete, everything needed for the swap, in VGC from a very low mileage trans. I also have For Sale the 2.94 ratio Hwy gears in 742 open diff (just add your sure grip) .
Cost for all parts to do this swap is $500. Plus shipping. That is cheaper and stronger than the factory O.D. Just add labor to swap the 833 trans wide ratio gear set & cluster into your case with your syncho assemblies, then swap out your 8 3/4 rear with my 2.94's in my 742 case.
If interested or you want more info, email [email protected]

Last edited:

rolling_thunder

Reaction score
Factory OD 4-speed... if you're worried about wear and tear swap the gear set into an iron case. Friend of mine ran an OD trans for years behind a blown 440 in his '55 Dodge truck - never broke it.

Back