• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Overdrive transmission into a 72 challenger: shifter and linkage question

Steve Reiter

Reaction score
I have an overdrive that was in a pickup, so it has the correct rear tail shaft housing. I also have an A body shifter with no rods, but I do have the tabs that connect to the case cover. I have to order the correct spacer for the challenger and I need to find shifter rods. Do any of you have suggestions on how to make this work?

Steve Reiter

Reaction score
What kind of transmission out of what kind of truck ??? A body shifter ?? what year for what trans ?? floor or column ?? Details really help a lot.
thanks for taking the time: here is the trans: Aluminum main case, c13157 bearing retainer & c99539 tailshaft housing. This was a floor shift trans. I have the hearst shifter that came with it, a 6353 shifter which I believe is an A body shifter. the seller told me that the transmission was originally an a body that he took apart and put the longer shaft into with the longer ebody tail shaft housing. So it a bit cobbled up. I have the correct bellhousing. I don't have a flywheel yet, or clutch/pressure plate. And the bearing retainer has to be replaced. Passon and Brewers insist that I have to have an ebody shifter. I'm just wondering if I can order the correct rods and modify them to fit this shifter. Sorry about the parts confusion. I'm just trying to get this the car on the road for a few years before I invest in either the passon overdrive upgrade or the actual 5 speed they do have. Also, the shifter has a handle but I'm sure I can't use it. Too long and pointed in a weird kind of direction when I compare to pictures of the challenger shifters.

moparleo

Reaction score
My opinion ? Go with the pros. Why end up with a "Frankenstein Monster" ( Various parts and pieces) that will most likely not work properly and no-one will be able to diagnose any problems because it is a one off. Sell the parts and just go with a 4 speed for now. Then when you convert to the o/d you will already have your flywheel, shifter etc... to use with the o/d unit. And you can easily sell what you no longer need.;)

magnum440

Reaction score
e body shifter, rods and tabs work ,,i put one in my 70 challenger just had to flip the rods,if not od ends up being 3rd ..hth

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I agree with Magnum 440
I have done a lot of these conversions , the E body shifter & rods will work , the levers sit at different angles on the OD shift cover so you may need a set of E body also , I usually have had to bend the 3-4 shift rod slightly to clear the trans crossmember as the lever is upside down to have the correct shift pattern .
The front brg retainer can be turned down on a lathe from 5.125" to 4.80" so you do not have to replace it

Back