• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Overdrive vs Taller Gears

money pit

Reaction score
I have a 8 3/4 with a 3.23 gear and a 360 engine, stock, 727 trans, no headers. At 60 mph it revs at about 2900 rpm. To reduce the rpms, should I go to 2.76 gears or convert to a overdrive unit? I want to make this my daily driver but with the price of gas these days, I'm not sure. I drive mostly freeways. Thanks

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Gears are cheaper overall but personally I would use OD , the 518 is virtually a bolt in with some wiring for the OD & the lock up function .
Increasing the engine efficency will help a lot too , tuning the carb well or using EFI , picking a cam that build a lot of cylinder ressure at 2500 RPM , getting better flowing exhaust etc will all help .

money pit

Reaction score
Gears are cheaper overall but personally I would use OD , the 518 is virtually a bolt in with some wiring for the OD & the lock up function .
Increasing the engine efficency will help a lot too , tuning the carb well or using EFI , picking a cam that build a lot of cylinder ressure at 2500 RPM , getting better flowing exhaust etc will all help .
Thanks. I was looking at an OD conversion and fuel injection. I'm on the fence about EFI since I hear more negative things about it. I've searched many websites and blogs.

Back