• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

overhaul kit 727

BSG

Reaction score
Anyone know who produces a good rebuild kit for these transmissions?

pschlosser

Reaction score
I rebuilt a 727 TorqueFlite using the B&M 10229 TRANSKIT
The instructions are very good, and they can be viewed online. This is a complete tear-down. Not just removing the valve body, but a complete disassembly of the VB and the gears, bands and clutch discs within. Although not pictured at the website, my kit included an improved kick-down lever. It describes tips and several optional mods one can make to improve performance. It shifts pretty hard from first to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd, even when giving the throttle a light touch there is still a thunk. Get on it hard, and the tires bark when it shifts. Be careful on rainy wet curves if you have sure grip differentials.

It's an expensive $400+ kit , but I think it also the most comprehensive.

If you're looking to improve the performance of just the valve body and adjust the bands you have, maybe without the complete tear-down, there are better kits containing fewer parts.

BSG

Reaction score
I rebuilt a 727 TorqueFlite using the B&M 10229 TRANSKIT
The instructions are very good, and they can be viewed online. This is a complete tear-down. Not just removing the valve body, but a complete disassembly of the VB and the gears, bands and clutch discs within. Although not pictured at the website, my kit included an improved kick-down lever. It describes tips and several optional mods one can make to improve performance. It shifts pretty hard from first to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd, even when giving the throttle a light touch there is still a thunk. Get on it hard, and the tires bark when it shifts. Be careful on rainy wet curves if you have sure grip differentials.

It's an expensive $400+ kit , but I think it also the most comprehensive.

If you're looking to improve the performance of just the valve body and adjust the bands you have, maybe without the complete tear-down, there are better kits containing fewer parts.
I’ve spent around 15k on the handling and could not be happier with that but I didn’t do a late model engine swap because I didn’t want to lose the soul of the car I cruised the streets of so cal in my early 20s doing things I won’t talk about but creating memories that still stick in my 60 year old mind. While coming home from the spring fling through the canyons of Malibu then down PCH to my house in Lomita it brought me right back to my 20s.
It has a strong but not over built 340 in it and gets a solid chirp when hitting 2nd but still retains that soul of tge 318 it was born with. Does that kit turn it into a full manual VB? Really the only thing wrong with it is I either broke the reverse band or it was so out of adj it came apart. In order to repair it the whole thing has to be disassembled so I figured replacement of all the soft parts with good quality stuff would be the way to go. Still struggling with whether or not to do it myself or let one of 3 tranny shops I trust to do it. The one I got ahold of Fri was concerned about parts that’s why I posted but it seems like the stuff is out there I just don’t want to go too far either direction race hard or street soft. I appreciate all the advice this site has to offer!
What do you think this kit has to offer for just cruising around town with the occasional burnout and auto cross?

pschlosser

Reaction score
Any of the mods the transkit discusses are optional. No, it does NOT make it into a manual valve body. But it does replace most if not all the bands, friction discs, o-rings, seals, etc. The instructions tell you how to adjust it things as you go. If you've not done one before, its complex.

I would encourage you do all the mods that improve shifting. On the next one, I will SKIP the mod allowing you to downshift into first at any speed. That mod I don't like.

The transkit, more or less, produces a B&M 727 Transmission with the mods/upgrades you choose.

edit: if you go this way, invest in a good set of snap-ring pliers, as the kit does NOT give you new snap rings. Also, a set of those sockets with the square (not hex) end points. I seem to recall needing a set of those.

BSG

Reaction score
I did a t350 in Jr college 25,30 years ago but I’ve watched a couple of 45 minute videos on it and there are a bunch of steps but I think it’s within my wheelhouse. Thanks for your input brother. I’ll update the post with my win or…😂😂

rogue

Reaction score
in addition to GOOD snap ring pliers you'll need a clutch drum spring compressor. Also search for "atsg 727 service manual" and you can find free pdf versions of it... it has detailed info on the 727/904 including step by step procedures for rebuild. Sockets with square ends would be fore adjusting bands but you can get away with using other more readily available sockets like star (e-torx, female torx) or whatever you have that fits snugly over the adjuster. The book recommends a valve spring compressor for the servos but appropriate sized C clamps have worked for me.

pschlosser

Reaction score
I read through the transkit manual and I should clarify. the B&M trankit with DIY rebuild is all the stuff you need to rebuild a 727 tranny AND morph it into a street b&m transmission (or other mods, for towing or track) The kit is really money well spent if you're going to rebuild the whole tranny anyway.

BSG

Reaction score
in addition to GOOD snap ring pliers you'll need a clutch drum spring compressor. Also search for "atsg 727 service manual" and you can find free pdf versions of it... it has detailed info on the 727/904 including step by step procedures for rebuild. Sockets with square ends would be fore adjusting bands but you can get away with using other more readily available sockets like star (e-torx, female torx) or whatever you have that fits snugly over the adjuster. The book recommends a valve spring compressor for the servos but appropriate sized C clamps have worked for me.
Yes I think I’m gonna make a weekend of it. There’s almost printable assembly manuals for everything on these cars I bought the assembly manual for the car I thumbed through it. It had several years and maybe some dart stuff mixed in but the step by step is priceless. Sure hate to buy a clutch drum compressor for a one time use though as a landlord my tool collection encompasses so many trades and space I’m gonna hit up some of my mechanic buddy see if they have one they can loan me. It’s such a specialized thing. Thank you for all your advice.

BSG

Reaction score
I read through the transkit manual and I should clarify. the B&M trankit with DIY rebuild is all the stuff you need to rebuild a 727 tranny AND morph it into a street b&m transmission (or other mods, for towing or track) The kit is really money well spent if you're going to rebuild the whole tranny anyway.
It’s the org. 120k transmissions and only the reverse is out and it’s the only part of the the car that wasn’t replaced or rebuilt during the restoration so it was gonna be the first failure I like the fact that the kit u pitched is so complete should make a great tranny

Back