• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Paint Markings

Skip70

Reaction score
Hi, Finally starting to get into my 1st Mopar "project". 35K original '70 318/4spd Barracuda.
Wondering if the paint markings on the firewall and rearend
barra1.JPG
barra3.JPG
barra2.JPG
in attached photos are factory? Not being familiar with Mopar, is that voltage regulator original?? Not sure why it would have been changed on such a low mileage car. Also, being an untrained "shadetree mechanic" , not sure which way to turn with bad skip in engine. The car has been off the road since 1988, not sure how often it had been started since. When I got it home, replaced plugs, new wires ,cap, rotor, points, condenser, bypassed gas tank to run fresh fuel. Checked compression (145-150 every cylinder), timing at idle at TDC. New carb kit, though carb was not gummed up or a mess. Car will start an idle fine, but very definite bad skip under acceleration or higher RPM. What should I do next? Thx .

Reaction score
Skip your next move is to sell that car . . . To me!

Nice car there for sure.

How about the distributor, is it bolted down tight? Points dist needs to ground to the engine. How’s your dwell and timing? Do you have vacuum advance connected to the correct vacuum source? Disconnect it and try your tests again.

Last edited:

RJHJR

Reaction score
Welcome!
Take great pictures of all those weird markings and post them.
I've taken a few, some convertibles, a part of found: line markings, line notes (no power on pass door), and names - apparently rock worked convertibles - found his name on two of mine and have seen it on others online over the years.

340challconvert

Reaction score
With your interest in the factory markings; Take pictures of your front suspension and torsion bars also in your search for markings.
When I cleaned up the steering, ball joints, tie rod ends etc; I found quite a bit of factory markings there also.
Here is an earlier article from MMC on the paint colors used:

"The most common places to find paint daubs on the front suspension are the lower ball joints, lower control arms, idler or outer tie rods, idler arms, center link, pitman are, steering box, spindles and torsion bars.

Final assembly Inspection Marks
The paint colors used were primarily very close to the actual vehicle colors offered by Chrysler. However, the paint was a solid color and did not contain metallic flakes.
Part Identification color codes
The paint color codes used by suppliers were not the same paint colors that Chrysler offered as vehicle colors. The colors used were typical solid colors (i.e., red, blue, yellow, black, orange, pink, green etc...)."
acrylic_paint-jpg.jpg

Dino2 (1).gif

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Welcome from another CT resident. Check out my restoration thread for information and photos regarding assembly line markings. Very cool car you have there man...

Skip70

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I'll report back when I figure out the skip. Will do on the research of assembly line markings. Thx!

Raycuda

Reaction score
Hi, Finally starting to get into my 1st Mopar "project". 35K original '70 318/4spd Barracuda.
Wondering if the paint markings on the firewall and rearendView attachment 59364 View attachment 59365 View attachment 59366 in attached photos are factory? Not being familiar with Mopar, is that voltage regulator original?? Not sure why it would have been changed on such a low mileage car. Also, being an untrained "shadetree mechanic" , not sure which way to turn with bad skip in engine. The car has been off the road since 1988, not sure how often it had been started since. When I got it home, replaced plugs, new wires ,cap, rotor, points, condenser, bypassed gas tank to run fresh fuel. Checked compression (145-150 every cylinder), timing at idle at TDC. New carb kit, though carb was not gummed up or a mess. Car will start an idle fine, but very definite bad skip under acceleration or higher RPM. What should I do next? Thx .
That orange circle with the run is factory. I am the original owner of a BS23HOB and it has that same marking. I believe the X on the differential is original, but mine is long gone.

Back