• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Paint overspray cleanup?

Tirekickertoo

Reaction score
Hello,
I restoring the honeycomb grill section on my 1970 Challenger. Unfortunately the previous owner attempted some paint work and managed to mist/coat the honeycomb section with a mixture of primer and paint. I'm looking for advice on how to easily remove this overspray. Would I need to remove the rivets, remove the honeycomb section and dip it? Or, is there a spray available (like Goof-Off) to loosen the paint. If I used the spray method, I would then have to carefully remove paint from each surface of every honeycomb by hand. This would be labor intensive and a risk damaging the thin aluminum. What is the best method to safely remove this paint and to also brighten the aluminum honeycomb section.

Thanks for your help,

Tirekickertoo

Rich G.

Reaction score
Depending on how hard the paint is you can try lacquer thinner and a Q tip. I know it’s a pain but taking every piece of the grill apart might be worse. (I never took one apart.) I did it on mine one square at a time and then went over it again with polish. It’s a pain alright but it looks good now.

RBcoolB

Reaction score
just to let you know the grill dose come apart and back together quite easy. Of course you have to be careful not to bend the thin strips. When I did mine I laid each strip out on a hard surface and hold down one end with a finger and wipe only away from your finger. do not try and wipe back and forth, if you wipe toward your finger it will bend the strip. there are tube rivets and rivet tools available. The rivet tool costs a bit but works incredibly well. Just letting you know it is an option that you don't have to be afraid of if the scrubbing each hole doesn't work. Good Luck

Back