• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Passengers door mirror placement

Tirekickertoo

Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking for a template or measurements to correctly place a factory chrome racing mirror on a 1971 Dodge Challenger passengers door. Anyone have drawings, or measurement's they'd like to share?

Thank you,

Tirekickertoo

challenger6pak

Reaction score
The passenger mirror is in the same place as the drivers mirror. For lack of better terms, it is a mirror image.

fasjac

Reaction score
I just unbolted the driver side, measured
from door edge and top edge. Like challenger6pak says, same left or right. The harder part was getting the threaded inserts installed properly.

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
I just unbolted the driver side, measured
from door edge and top edge. Like challenger6pak says, same left or right. The harder part was getting the threaded inserts installed properly.

How did you install the threaded inserts? I drilled a hole same size as the insert but it never seated into the door. I bought mine from Classic, I ended up using an epoxy to get it to stay put.

fasjac

Reaction score
How did you install the threaded inserts? I drilled a hole same size as the insert but it never seated into the door. I bought mine from Classic, I ended up using an epoxy to get it to stay put.
That may work but, the correct way is to use an insert gun. It’s like doing rivets.
the kit is cheap to buy and, you may need later. The threaded insert is to be used to clamp on each side to the sheet metal leaving a solid anchor to attach the mirror housing. Here’s a quick example of the tool.

4BDA487C-5B53-4804-9D62-11A6EE5A1DC5.png

fasjac

Reaction score
Don’t know why the add came across “with no special tool”. There may be some like like that but, I used what I call my zert gun. You get the idea though.

gzig5

Reaction score
The special tool makes it faster and easier but it isn't essential. The rivnut can be set with a nut, bolt, and a washer. At least the ones I've used can be. You want the hole to be tight and a light interference fit if you can to get the best grip.

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
I figured it would crush down like a pop rivit, but when I tried threading in a bolt it bottomed out and didnt crush so I opted for an epoxy sealer. I will pick up the tool and do it right ...I dont need my mirror flying off when i`m headed down the road! Thanks for the help!

fasjac

Reaction score
You may be able to borrow the the tool from Oreillys or another parts store close to you. I wouldn’t buy one if you don’t have to. Chances of needing it again on these cars is slim.

gzig5

Reaction score
I figured it would crush down like a pop rivit, but when I tried threading in a bolt it bottomed out and didnt crush so I opted for an epoxy sealer. I will pick up the tool and do it right ...I dont need my mirror flying off when i`m headed down the road! Thanks for the help!
It should collapse somewhat like a rivet. You thread a bolt in and then hold the bolt and tighten the jam nut to collapse it. You need to pull the threaded shank back towards the head.
One method. Plenty of how to's and videos out there.

But if you can get hold of the real tool, go for it. I would think most body shops should have one.

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
Glad I went and found the tool for this ($20 Harbor freight.) The epoxy I used to keep the threaded inserts in came right off. I have no doubt my passenger mirror at some point would have fallen right off!

fasjac

Reaction score
Glad I went and found the tool for this ($20 Harbor freight.) The epoxy I used to keep the threaded inserts in came right off. I have no doubt my passenger mirror at some point would have fallen right off!
agreed

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
I will look for a RH mirror diagram for measurements on a Challenger to see what I can find.
The rivnut tool is best but this kit includes a tool to get it done. First picture is a link.

s-l1600 (5).jpg
1605828869343.png

Back