• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Passon

Knock Out

Reaction score
Installed a passon 4 speed when the original took a dive
I kept the original so I can rebuild it someday if I want to
Got about 1500 miles on it
Louder than the original but I like it so far
Anybody have any comments or tips or experiences with passon

wedg2go

Reaction score
No, but if you don't mind, I have a few questions.

How long did it take to order?

Going from 4th to 5th, how much does it drop in RPMs?

Noise? You call them on it? Seems to me it should be fairly quiet?

I am thinking of purchasing one in the next year or so. That 3:92 final drive is a killer for highway cruising. I keep wanting to grab for 5th gear! :eek:

:thankyou:

Grady Cain

Reaction score
I have plenty of experience with Jamie Passon. He has rebuilt the numbers-matching 4-speeds for both my T/A and A12 cars. Besides being an expert with the A833's, he is a great guy who will stand behind anything he does. I have been to his shop 3 times and would absolutely recommend him and his work to anyone, anytime. One of the best in the business without a doubt...

wedg2go

Reaction score
LOL! Yeah. You're right, quapman! OP did say "4 speed" and someday eyes, comprehension and keyboard will improve on my part. Sheeesh!

Btw - I still want my five speed (833 w/ OD which I thought that is all passon did...live and learn.)

Ralph

Reaction score
Anyone use the passion hemi overdrive 4 speed ? the 5 speeds are out there in time and I need to do something this winter

If so did you like it.

lemondana

Reaction score
You better think again about anything from Passon! Go over to FABO and read the lengthy post on Passon's 5 speed..
I have plenty of experience with Jamie Passon. He has rebuilt the numbers-matching 4-speeds for both my T/A and A12 cars. Besides being an expert with the A833's, he is a great guy who will stand behind anything he does. I have been to his shop 3 times and would absolutely recommend him and his work to anyone, anytime. One of the best in the business without a doubt...

Knock Out

Reaction score
You better think again about anything from Passon! Go over to FABO and read the lengthy post on Passon's 5 speed..
I love the 4 speed
Has been bulletproof so far
I drive it hard
My 440 6 pack is pushing a little over 600 ho
Car runs mid 12 “s with street radials
Trans is rock solid and shifts very easy and smooth
Using mc cloud dual clutch
Hope this helps

lemondana

Reaction score
For any Jamie Passon friends out there-go to FABO and read the 13 page post about the purchase and dealings with Passon. Go to the manual trans section and a little way down on the first page. It is titled A855-5 Speed by matthon on Aug. 26, 2019. After you read that let us know what you think! After reading this post I will never buy anything from Passon.

Ralph

Reaction score
I deal with Jamie on previous rebuilds and he was great.

Also my friend who received a 5 speed did not have any issues with the 4 gear jumping out.

I for one had positive dealings with him.

lemondana

Reaction score
It appears that there are a few good ones. I'm happy for those that have gotten one of them.

Cojohnso

Reaction score
I love the 4 speed
Has been bulletproof so far
I drive it hard
My 440 6 pack is pushing a little over 600 ho
Car runs mid 12 “s with street radials
Trans is rock solid and shifts very easy and smooth
Using mc cloud dual clutch
Hope this helps
I too have had no issues with A833. Im running behind 10 1/2" Centerforce clutch. I love the chance to try one of Passon's A855 5 speeds. The concerns I had was availability. It's just recently I have been hearing of performance issues. If this is new to most recent? I think Passon needs to re-tool. I have heard very good results of first production product.

Last edited:

lemondana

Reaction score
Of course, the A833 is the Chrysler trans, bullet proof and not to much to improve on. But I hear that he even screws them up. The bad dealings are with the A855 5 speed. There are quite a few people that have nothing but good things to say about them. I'm glad you got a good one. Again, go over to FABO, if you can stoop that low and read the 13 page post by matthon titled 855 5 speed.

70chall440

Reaction score
I don't know Jamie Passion nor have I ever bought anything from his company, but having been on a number forums for a lot of years, read a variety of posts about them and been on their website many times. I believe that they are a reputable company overall, I think however that when it came to the 5 speed they outran their headlights so to speak. I think they thought they had a design and let it be known which caused a lot of interest and orders but then discovered issues in both sourced parts and overall cost additionally performance of delivered units. I really do not think it was or is a malicious act, rather that they are just dealing with a lot of issues not to mention the current Wuhan crap. All this said, I do not think that I would be in a hurry to get one of the 5 speeds, I just don't think they are ready for prime time.

I understand the attraction but the price and problems just are too prohibitive at least to me. I would opt for a Tremec or one of the others before going after one of the Passion units.

Back