• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

PCV

aa-1159

Reaction score
Do i need a pcv, 360 6 pack
my valve covers are not made to install one
just have 2 breather caps,
i have very small amount of oil mist from one breather

rklein71

Reaction score
From Wikipedia, but useful....
The blow-by gases are generated when a small but continual amount of gases (air, unburned fuel, combustion gases) leak from the combustion chamber past the piston rings, that is, blow by them, and the piston ring gaps to end up inside the crankcase, causing pressure to build up in there. Additional sources of blow-by that contribute to this effect are gases leaking past the turbocharger shaft, the air compressors (if present) and in some cases the valve stem seals. The blow-by gases, if not ventilated, can condense and combine with the oil vapor present in the crankcase forming sludge or cause the oil to become diluted with unburned fuel, degrading its quality and decreasing its effective life. Additionally, excessive crankcase pressure can lead to engine oil leaks past the crankshaft seals and other engine seals and gaskets. Prolonged periods of oil leaks can starve the engine of oil and damage it in a permanent way. Therefore, it becomes imperative that a crankcase ventilation system is used. This allows the blow-by gases, consisting of the combustion products and the oil vapors, to be vented through a PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valve out of the crankcase. There are three system architectures when the blow-by gas exits the crankcase. It can either enter the air inlet manifold (closed CVS), be vented freely in the atmosphere (open CVS) or be vented in the atmosphere through a filter (filtered open CVS).

aussiemark

Reaction score
Old cars had a pipe that vented the crankcase the fumes and oil mist would just vent out on the road under the car then the EPA made them recirculate the crankcase fumes back into the intake to be burned by the engine. As long as the crankcase can vent it will be ok you will get a bit of messy oil to deal with but if you try and seal it will build up pressure and start leaking from the seals or pop the breather off.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
In my very younger days I put together a built 440 using brand new Mopar Performance cast valve covers not realizing that there were no vents installed in them. The engine would only run for 30 seconds before suffocating.

Back