• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Pipe Dreams - how do I build a blower motor?

elnielsen

Reaction score
I have this 71 Barracuda (<-- pic to the left). It's a 318 auto base model, nothing that desirable. But it's B7, bench seat (forced column shift), dealership installed A/C, and I have all the paperwork. Not exactly a shell mod donor but the 318 sucks almost as much gas, and doesn't go... And only peels because the open diff... sometimes.. I keep returning to "keep it as-is, but go the street machine route".. And boy, does my buddy's 440+6 scream and shake the pavement! Hoo boy if there's a wall nearby, that car wants to go through it. it's exciting and terrifying, you know, the way driving is supposed to be.

I want to put a period skyscraper blower through the hood (for that period look - less actual carburetors), that runs on pump gas, and I want it to be a "mechanic special" - to me meaning built on the cheap, bulletproof (I have a retired master mechanic for leadership so I can do everything the machine shop doesn't have to do), maybe even isn't terrible at gas economy. A driver not a show car. Knowing the rear end, tranny, brakes, maybe even k-frame need to be included in such a build. What would be the options I'm looking for? Can a modern engine (for power and economy) be plucked from the junk yard and rebuilt to fit old hardware? Can such hardware be found? Am I relegated to building a 360? How much boost do I want to run? More than less and enough that a bulletproof engine can be built for it. You know what I mean, nothing's bulletproof, but strong enough to stand without forcing use of super expensive parts. stroker as well?

Oh and my buddy has the smaller e-body pistol grip four speed laying around, could that be used / would it fit if I can find a proper tunnel, or should I elect a specific transmission?

I know I could easily be talking $8+k. Could I be talking $5k? Could this exist with the world of parts available to me?

Just looking for ideas? Dabbling in daydreams at the expense of it...

Please and thank you!

moparleo

Reaction score
Get a few junk yard 360/5.9 engines. They have strong bottom ends, are cheap and bolt right in. buy a complete blower kit that has most everything you need to bolt it on. Run it underdriven and just plan on upgrading everything from the radiator to the differential. You were going to do that anyway.; How much you spend depends on how lucky you are, what deals you can find and what your timeline is...

sir_veza

Reaction score
My advice is determine a budget + 20%..then find a good hot rod engine builder (if you feel necessary) to work with you...don't forget all the engine mods have an engineering impact elsewhere in the car...

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
About 25 years ago I built a 440 steel crank with all the good parts , I got the short block built for $3500 , we installed a BDS 8/71 roots blower for about the same $3500 so with $7k total we had a 440 using ported stock iron heads , special cam grind , forged low comp pistons etc , it ran 10.3 in the 1/4 @ 136 MPH in a detuned state in a 71 GTX Body making approx 800 hp , it ran 6-7 seasons without any damage or trouble .
The trans had to be specially built costing another $1200 & a special converter another $1000, fuel system had to be modified as well , the Dana lived fine but the suspension had to be upgraded to ladderbars as it bent the leaf springs badly .
Yes this can be done but you should not cut corners or it will bite you .

elnielsen

Reaction score
Not that I'd need much more power than my buddies 440+6 naturally aspirated, but next on the checklist for building would be a supercharger. As long as it can peel out, beat most other cars on the road, and still corner in turns.

I don't even have torque boxes or frame stiffening/subframe connectors in, though I just did the entire suspension including I think 1.09 bars which will prob be insufficient for such a beast.

I did put a junkyard ford 8.8 with an air locker and 4.56 gears in my jeep. So I'm not against brickhouse upgrades from the junk yard so long as I don't have to put any Chevy parts in my car 8P

yep, brakes, rear end, tranny, motor, blower, and now ladder bar, stall converter, fuel system. I'm at an early stage of starting to gather parts like another flat hood to cut up.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The B engines have the strongest block , 400 is best , or do a 440 , the LA blocks are great but not as strong & the dist gets in the way . With some smart choices you can make very reliable power with a blown big block & if you are not in a hurry should be able to get deals on some needed parts .
I would not do this without stiffening the frame , torque boxes & subframes are a minimum , the GTX had a 10 pt roll cage in it . Using poor tires like BFG can save the frame but make it much easier to lose control as they will never hook up !
Dana 60s are dime a dozen in wrecking yards but by the time you modify one you will not save any significant $$ over just buying a built one from Dr Diff , I would build one to B body specs & move the springs inboard to max the tire size fitment . Again Dr Diff can help out with offset hangers for the leaf springs .
If you need help ask !

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The 4 speed can be used , you will need a street twin clutch to handle the torque[I use McLeod] , if you are not abusive to the 833 it can live fine but anything can be broken , not much is stronger than the 833 even today , the Tremec are not nessisarily better . there are different versions of the 833 , the 18 spline Hemi being the strongest by far but all are decently strong

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I know crazy right , good bang for the $$ even if you had to replace or rebuild the turbos down the road .

Back