• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Plastic steering shaft connectors broke

Flchallenger

Reaction score
71 challenger and the steering shaft slides up into the column. Has always been like this. Is this a problem. Safe unsafe? Are they replace able?
Thanks

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Completely disassemble column. you are talking about the shaft on the bottom of picture? slide apart clean inside shaft and holes in shaft. a propane touch will do the trick. the shaft that insert in has 1 or 2 grooves,clean them. I'll be right back let me check something.

Attachments

• 20200521_131259.jpg
    20200521_131259.jpg
    607.8 KB · Views: 200

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Thought I picture of the shaft apart to show grooves. power steering and manual steering are different lengths. mark the shaft for desired length. the small hole line up with the center of the groove. If you can preheat and support on a flat surface,use a hot glue gun and inject until full.do not disturb allow to cool.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
When you reassemble,don't drop on end or force from the end.the two 3/16
" holes is what shears off. then you have to start over.You should have no real problem.Good Luck!

Flchallenger

Reaction score
I watched the videos and got started. Took several tries borrowing pullers to get the can off. I have it out of the car and starting on it. The shaft doesn't move very easily. So I am wondering if it is not sliding in out easily what are the pins for other than to sheer in a wreck. What are they holding, just the shaft sliding in and out. It can't go anywhere because the joint on the bottom is connected to the power steering the steering wheel isn't coming out. I just can't figure what they were for other than to sheer. I guess when it's new they will slide out. Might have more to do with the assembly line keeping them together until they got them in the car. Being I am taking it apart I am going to go ahead pump new hot glue in . Thanks for the advice. Heating it with a propane torch will keep it hot enough to get the glue to move around and fill it good I would think. This is my sunday project.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
The pins shear off in an accident,to keep the column from driving into the drivers chest. I wouldn't say it just a safety feature. holds shaft in the correct place.there is enough free movement in the steering cup. It slide in about 6 inches. it is a machined fit.I do recall it took a little persuasion, It could be rust inside the shaft or the bonding agent hanging up. place larger end in vice,vice grips on smaller end. heat with propane torch, hold vice grips bump vice grips a jaws. If its really tight heat the outside maybe 5 min,not red hot and shock it with water.may take a few tries. As far as injecting hot glue. when apart you will see 2 groves around the inside shaft.line the holes up with grooves. better yet the videos I do belive they gave the shaft lengths. Have shaft placed so you don't have to move it.preheat shaft,inject,allow to cool. I do believe you have the idea.

Flchallenger

Reaction score
Well going pretty smoothly. Got it all apart except the steering shaft and just as I fired up a butane torch I ran out of fuel. Have to pick up some tomorrow and finish. But I don't have a lock out shaft. The last piece. Mine looks like one piece. Is there a different one for auto's. I don't know what my car came with other than 318 auto. Also mine is a 71 challenger

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Of course,why not,run out of fuel when you need it. been there done it too.
remember it only should take a 250- 350 at most to free up. There is a hole or slot where you depress a spring pin to remove the lock cylinder.it is one piece.The cylinder can be taken apart to re key. I think the key has to be in to be removed the cylinder.

Last edited:

Flchallenger

Reaction score
I don't see any lock out tube here. This is off a 71 challenger with floor shift.

Attachments

• steering column 2.jpg
    steering column 2.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 152
  • steerting column.jpg
    steerting column.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 168

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
My guess is someone was in there and removed it for some reason. they didn't how to assemble it? The lockout ring locks the steering when key is removed.you can find now or later and reinstall. If you look you can see all the parts in the picture. lockout ring,lever and springs.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Do you have the lockout ring in the pic at 10 o'clock of steering wheel? if you hav everything in the picture.that's what you need.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Before you finish you might want to consider putting ER-16 bearing in the end or steering column. Find it on eBay for about 6 bucks. It has a 2' od and a 1' id. I think that was the number I used in mine.

Attachments

• 20180925_153227.jpg
    20180925_153227.jpg
    505.8 KB · Views: 165

Flchallenger

Reaction score
I went and read the manual is says the floor shift ebodies didn't have the tube. I am putting the bearing in as well. Had to massage the steering shaft quite a bit to get the bearing to slide on. No problems with the steering column it slides right in. It's been raining non stop and I need to paint outside so I am waiting on the weather. I was thinking of just pushing the bearing up on the steering column and putting the original plastic with rubber bushing back in to hold the bearing in place.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I believed I massage the steering shaft a bit with a flap disk and polished up,then clear coated it. why clear coat,I don't know,I'll never se it again. I don't recall if the bearing will go up in further?

Flchallenger

Reaction score
I finally got it painted and starting to put together. Where does the floor support fit on the tube on the end after the little bump out or on the top side of the bump out.

Attachments

• 20210711_105659.jpg
    20210711_105659.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 148
  • 20210711_105707.jpg
    20210711_105707.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 145
  • 20210711_105714.jpg
    20210711_105714.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 158
Back