• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Power Glide Cross Member

Ricky J

Reaction score
Hi new to this site .
Does any one know if you can buy a cross member adapter for a 1973 Barracuda
to change from 727 to Power Glide.
Or has someone done this before and can give me a heads upon any issues
I live in Australia and not sure whats out there for this

Steve340

Reaction score
I doubt if anyone would be making a cross member to put a Chevy trans in a Mopar.
You are the first person I have heard wanting to do it.
Is it a drag car?

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I’m willing to listen to this because you’re on the other side of the earth but the thought of such a thing turns my stomach. o_O
You’re most certainly going to be fabricating something from scratch as there’s no demand for downgrading your E-body with bowtie parts.
Oh and welcome to the site from the Motor City!

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
Welcome to FEBO from New Jersey
OUCH
Be easier to stick with a Mopar drive train and 727.
Parts would be easier to get then having to fabricate from scratch. Is there a reason for you wanting to use the power glide? (Building a drag car?)
I have driven Chevy's with a power glide, a very limited 2 speed trans on the street that was obsolete when every other manufacturer was already using 3 speed automatic transmissions. Just my thoughts!
Dino2 (1).gif

Last edited:

Ricky J

Reaction score
Hi and thanks. The reason for wanting to do swap is the engine is a 440 big block stroked to 505 EFI with a pro charger putting out 900 hp
and a lot of people are saying that the 727 auto will not handle this power and even worse if I fit a trans brake.This is my street car and occasionaly
will take to track for quarter mile drags.So this is my reason for wanting to do swap to power glide as they are suppose to be a lot stronger cases and rated a lot higher than a 727 which 700 hp is the most they will stand by as for power glide they can go up to 1500hp and beyond. Hope to this sheds some light I would love to keep the 727 auto but not sure it would last .Thanks again

340challconvert

Reaction score
The torqueflite came w some heady engines; 440's -6pks and behind hemi's. These high performance transmissions came with additional clutches and other heavy duty parts to handle these powerful engines.

In fact many Ford and GM racers put torqueflites in their own drag cars.
I am attaching a Hot Rod magazine article on beefing up a torqueflite.

This is one small quote from the article;
"Today the 727 TorqueFlite remains a hugely popular item with drag racers, restorers, and cruisers alike despite having “only” three forward speeds and a direct 1:1, non-overdrive top gear."

This article should put things in perspective for you.

15 Tips to Improve Your 727 Torqueflite Trans! - Hot Rod Network

Good luck w what ever you choose to do!
Dino2 (1).gif

Last edited:

Ricky J

Reaction score
Thanks I have read these articles before and don't disagree with what they say but it is the horse power rating that I am concerned with .
Will do some more research and go to few more transmission places have asked in the states as well and they even say go power glide.

Back