• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Quarter panel question

Cudachuck

Reaction score
Would you use the skins or replace the whole quarter if it is just bad at the bottom? Are the quality of the skins the same as the whole piece? Pro and cons? Thanks

Adam

Reaction score
Save as much original metal as you can. AMD sheet metal is as good as it gets now days, but even then I would not replace the whole quarter if I didn’t have to. Other brands like Goodmark are best used for patch panels, IMO. The new metal doesn’t seem to have the sharp bends of the original. Look at your new and old metal where it wraps into the door jamb; rounded, not a sharp 90. Also around the gas hole on Challengers, it’s beveled, and not a sharp 90. Then you are dealing with the 1/4 window, back window and trunk channels... a lot of work.

1972CudaV21

Reaction score
If the structural integrity is all there, many people skin them. For years, full quarters were never available unless you were lucky to find NOS. When I first replaced the quarters on a Mopar in the late 80’s, the skin quality was very poor then - mainly hand-formed stuff at the time. I did a terrible job the first time..lol. There were no YT videos nor a wealth of information, like today. I don’t have the patience to precisely cut off the quarters. Thus, if you’re not really talented or experienced, consider the full quarter.

70chall440

Reaction score
If just the bottom of the quarters are bad, then just replace those parts. I've been down this road myself and replaced a lot more than I needed to. If there isn't any rust/damage then no reason to cut off good factory metal.

Cuda416

Reaction score
I think the only (in my opinion) reason to replace a whole skin is because the the wheel house needs replacing/repairing. Even then, only cut the original quarter as much as you need. Either right below the body line, or just under the top "edge" no need to go over onto the top.

rklein71

Reaction score
My rear quarters were chunk full of bondo, rust, and previous weld repairs. Full quarters was really the only option. I did think the AMD quarters fit nice, but I agree with above. The bend onto the door jambs was not as crisp as the factory, but since I replaced both sides, they match!

IMG_3711.JPG

Last edited:

budascuda

Reaction score
If you can, keep as much of the factory body lines as you can,
Helps to keep it real!

Cudachuck

Reaction score
I think the only (in my opinion) reason to replace a whole skin is because the the wheel house needs replacing/repairing. Even then, only cut the original quarter as much as you need. Either right below the body line, or just under the top "edge" no need to go over onto the top.
If the body line is alittle dented would you suggest replacing everything under the top lip? Or is it not to hard to fix the bodyline?

moparroy

Reaction score
If the body line is alittle dented would you suggest replacing everything under the top lip? Or is it not to hard to fix the bodyline?
Yea pic might help there - kinda depends on how much is "alittle". You can rebuild the body line - I had to do on my doors and it was easier than I thought it would be - using masking tape to guide the line.
At the time I made the decision to go skins I had little choice - full quarters not really available at that time. I am happy with the skins and the way they went on just below the lip. Yes the lines are not as crisp. I had to do a full replacement as a previous repair had left two layers of metal up to the body line and lots of bondo. The only part that did not fit well at all was the fit to the rear valance - that took a lot of work.
I have heard Cuda skins better than Challenger...
The other thing to consider is risk of welding distortion - go slow regardless - the lip at he top helps control the distortion - but depends how big a patch panel you are looking at as an alternate.

Cuda416

Reaction score

Full disclosure, I'm not a body guy nor have I stayed at a holiday Inn anything.

I'd be worried about warpage plain and simple. The body line can certainly be re-established, it's time, patience, tape and probably some filler. Most of the bodyline will be established when block sanding the primer. Tape the line on one side, then block sand "to' the line. Switch the tape to the other side, then block sand "to" the line from the other side. Probably easier said that done.

Again, MY worry would be the potential for the panel to warp etc. At least on a challenger, there is a "hard" body line which would make it LOADS easier to replace the lower skin only.

To answer your actual question though, I'd opt to fix the panel rather than replace. Lots of people think a dent is a reason to replace because of a false aversion to filler. You're going to have filler, period. how much is up to the skill of the person fixing the dent or replacing the panel. Filler up to a nickel thick is no big deal.

as others have said, pics would help.

-=C

Last edited:
Back