• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Question: 360 with A904 transmission and B&M 10239 flexplate

CudaK

Reaction score
with the 360 being (external balanced) and useing the B&M 10239 flexplate along with my A904 Transmission.....what is the correct torque converter to use ?

Can I use any 318 or 340 "27 spline" (neutral balanced) torque converter for my A904 27 spline transmission ?

Choosing my stall....

Here is my set up:

1973 (360) w/ edelbrock aluminum heads with 71 340 six pack setup
MP preformance cam 280/280 474 lift
3.55 gears 15x7 255/60 tires

Torque converter stall: 1800-2200 ?

Is this a good choice of stall for the setup I have ?

Thanks in advance !!!

Adam

Reaction score
Yes, if the B&M flexplate is the one with the semi-circle cut out, and it is for a 360 LA, not Magnum, you can use a neutral balanced converter.

The stall depends on your intended use. For the street I think 1800-2200 will be ok, for racing not so much. Your cam selection has it’s power band a little higher in the rpm range. If you want to launch hard for racing go to a looser converter. If you want to drive around on two barrels and occasionally blast thru the gears, I think you will like it.

Are you still running the stock 904 valvebody? That is not a performance piece at all. Go with a Cheetah Automatic/Manual, or similar item, it with change the personality of the car!

The Lokar kick-Down cable is a nice piece, and easy to install.

Last edited:

hellrats

Reaction score
Yes that is the correct flex plate. You do not need weights on the converter with it. I don't think you'll be happy with that stall speed. The 340 came from the factory with a 2400 stall. I would go at least that maybe even a 2800. Get a good converter it will make all the difference. The 904 will hold up just fine. You can get a nice shift kit from B&M and use the valve body you have already. It's not hard, just follow the directions.

CudaK

Reaction score
Thanks for the replays and great info.

I brought the Cuda to the transmission shop today.... the guy doing the tranny owns a "70 440/6 pack challenger" and the place has been know for turning out quality work plus plus in my book !!!

So these part will be used as he said he has these parts in his tranny:
Alto red eagle clutches, kolene steel plates and red line bands will be used. B&M shift kit, a anti flowback valve. Etc etc
He recommended a 2400 stall converter as Hellrat did

It will be done Wednesday

Back