• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Radiator Size

money pit

Reaction score
I have a 1970 Barracuda that was originally a slant six. I installed a 360 with a 727 trans. I also installed aftermarket AC. I have a flex fan and a aftermarket shroud (covers the top of the fan). Is a 22 in radiator large enough to cool the engine. Or will I need to modify the radiator support and put in a 26 in radiator? I live in So. Calif. so it's usuall in the 80-90 in the summer. Thanks

Mopar Mitch

Reaction score
Fill that 22" core opening with a good quality radiator, fan shroud, and a wide-blade fan (clutch or flex... do NOT use a thin blade flex fan or it simply won't draw enough air through the radiator, especially at idle or low MPH)... you should have no problems as many E-bodies had 22" core openings. Consider a "triple-flow"... such as from U.S. Radiator for best results.

U.S. Radiator also offers a 26" radiator that has an adapter bracket to fit a 26" rad into a 22" core opening... discuss with them.

Ccas

FEBO Vendor
FEBO Vendor
Reaction score
You can stay with a 22" radiator as long as it is high capacity as mentioned above. The copper brass radiator should be a 4 row if you are running ac. The tri-flow is even better. However, both are quite expensive and still don't cool as good as a BIG 2 row aluminum radiator.

Most aluminum radiators have fabricated tanks and kind of look like they were made in someones basement. Cold Case, Griffin and Dewitt units have nice stamped tanks. If having the radiator look 100% stock is important, then you'll have to buck up and spend the extra money. Otherwise any of these big 2 row aluminum units would be a better value.

With any of the above, we also agree that you should use an OEM style shroud and fan. You should be good to go!

money pit

Reaction score
You can stay with a 22" radiator as long as it is high capacity as mentioned above. The copper brass radiator should be a 4 row if you are running ac. The tri-flow is even better. However, both are quite expensive and still don't cool as good as a BIG 2 row aluminum radiator.

Most aluminum radiators have fabricated tanks and kind of look like they were made in someones basement. Cold Case, Griffin and Dewitt units have nice stamped tanks. If having the radiator look 100% stock is important, then you'll have to buck up and spend the extra money. Otherwise any of these big 2 row aluminum units would be a better value.

With any of the above, we also agree that you should use an OEM style shroud and fan. You should be good to go!
Any thought on electric fans?
Fill that 22" core opening with a good quality radiator, fan shroud, and a wide-blade fan (clutch or flex... do NOT use a thin blade flex fan or it simply won't draw enough air through the radiator, especially at idle or low MPH)... you should have no problems as many E-bodies had 22" core openings. Consider a "triple-flow"... such as from U.S. Radiator for best results.

U.S. Radiator also offers a 26" radiator that has an adapter bracket to fit a 26" rad into a 22" core opening... discuss with them.
Thanks, I'll look into it.

money pit

Reaction score
Unnecessary for your application. OEM will do just as well.
What about a thermal clutch fan or non thermal? I live souther Calif so it gets pretty hot in the summer. Thanks

Ccas

FEBO Vendor
FEBO Vendor
Reaction score
I believe OEM for Mopar at that time was thermal. I think if you get a heavy duty OEM or aftermarket version, that would be fine. If the fan is for AC (more blades), fills the shroud opening in the stock position and the clutch is working, you have the perfect setup. You only need electric fans when racing for every 1/10th, you have a pulley system or you just like the sound or look of electric fans! :)

Back