• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Radio Bench Test

nakabrd

Reaction score
I'm trying to bench test a stock AM/FM Chrysler radio. Can someone tell me if I have the wires in the right place to properly test the radio. Red wire to positive battery terminal, green or purple wire to one side of the speaker, black wire to the other side of the speaker and to the negative battery terminal.Does this sound right to provide power to the radio? Thanks for any advice.

nakabrd

Reaction score
Here are 2 pics showing the tag and the 4 wires coming out of the deck. Thanks for any help you can offer.

challenger upholstery 020.JPG

challenger upholstery 021.JPG

HooToTheCore

Reaction score
Negative battery should be to radio chassis ground (case). That nut on the back below the red wire is good. Do not hook black wire to neg battery, it is speaker only. You must be careful about speaker load as too little can mess up the radio. You should use the crossover box for any factory AM/FM Stereo setup to avoid harming the radio. Speakers must be 8 ohm. You might be ok with green or purple to a speaker along with black being the other speaker terminal.

Again, I would recommend using the crossover box to be safe.

nakabrd

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I used my crossover and hooked it up as you suggested. It still won't power up so the deck must be bad. Thanks again for the help.

HooToTheCore

Reaction score
Should be able to get power without any speaker hooked up (but may be hard to tell if light bulb is no good). Also do you have antenna connected? Won't get any reception without antenna.

nakabrd

Reaction score
No internal fuses that I saw. I hooked up a speaker and antenna. I was able to make another Mopar radio power up and play. This must have something wrong with it. Thanks for the help.

Back