• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Radio Cuts out.

71droptop

Reaction score
Other day turned car off- wouldnt start. Jiggled + cable-several attempts - nothing..
One final twist and turn of battery cable and it started. Nothing weak about the battery.
While driving back home the radio cut out. 3-4 seconds then back on.
Flipped on the head lights- alternator didnt budge- usually shows slightly charging.. ( Alt. is relatively New)
Battery + cable and post look good.
Thinking of replacing Volt-regulator and horn relay.
Any thoughts appreciated.
71 Challenger- 318/ auto- stock

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
I'd start with the last item/part you worked on or changed. Check them out for proper mounting/grounding and that nothing else was disturbed near it. And check the ground from the battery to the body/frame. I hate intermittent problems, tough to find sometimes. Ugh.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
1 Jiggled + cables. Did anything else work? light horn radio? 2 driving back home the radio cut out. any thing else cut out? 3 you were meant the alt gauge right. alternator didnt budge. Off hand I believe the headlight power comes from the black wire splice alt gauge under dash.The black wire goes to the firewall connection then to the alt. which in turn connects to the alt gauge the to the red wire to the firewall connection,then to the battery. OK lets say the alt is good,because the light work and it is on the alt side of amp gauge. understand batt side of amp gauge RED is hot all the time.and feeds power to alt to excite. Only takes very little voltage to start to charge not amps.once running alt feeds batt and other. power can go both ways. I would check red and black firewall connection 12 gauge wire. you might find them burnt. the alt wires check them too. I eliminated the amp gauge all together and use firewall connections black and red to feed inside. plug in a voltage gauge to lighter.

What I did was replace fuse box cleaned ever or repaired ever connection on the car. splice one under dash that is black and alt,removed headlight and horn. horn now with flasher fuse headlight on console fuse location.will do headlight relay set up later to remove high cuurent for inside. Reused Red [from batt] and Black[ ACC ]wire as original. Ran an other 12 gauge red wire with fuseable link that is 16 gauge to starer relay and use alt firewall connection for a 2nd power feed. Will use an 8 gauge directly to battery. When cutting splice one,it also cut power to steering column Acc. solution use acc connection front or back of fuse box. Don't forget about the grounds.​

Last edited:
Back