• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Radio delete dash panel?

Tirekickertoo

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Can someone post a picture of what a 1970 Challenger radio delete dash panel looks like. I've never seen one and would doubt that they are reproduced. Also, would there be a letter/number combination on the fender tag that would indicate that the car was a radio delete vehicle?

Thanks for your help,

Tirekickertoo

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
No specific code for "radio delete".
However if there is no R code on the fender tag that is a "radio delete" car.

What year? Got a fender tag readout?

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
The radio delete car also had a factory black cardboard piece that would block the speaker hole up on the dash.
Also there would have been a specific fender that had no antenna hole. Or I have heard there was an antenna plug but have not seen that.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
I have a radio delete panel but not sure if I have a picture of it. And it's stored. I'll look.

not sure about part number.
I don't think the little cardboard piece had a part number either.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Not Coded = (1970-74) No radio. Radios were optional not standard. As such, there is no "radio delete". Car will have a single speaker dash with speaker grill. Under the speaker grill will be a black cardboard insert instead of a speaker. The car will not have any speakers or other speaker grills. The package tray will not have perforations for rear speakers. There will also not be a crossover box, rear speaker fader, antennae, or any speaker wiring. The fender (or quarter panel on trans am cars) will not have a hole for an antennae, and the hole that the antennae lead would have passed through to get to the fender will be filled with a standard body plug. There will not be a rectangular hole for the radio in the “radio trim plate”.

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Your broadcast sheet (if you have it) will have no number stamped in the "radios" section as was previously mentioned. What is necessary to know here is whether your car has a standard or rallye dash. I have what's left of the radio delete panel for my 1970 T/A with standard dash so I can tell you what that looks like. The panel, like the rest of the 70-only standard dash is ribbed and absolutely not reproduced. It is probably (in my opinion) the most rare part on the planet. What normally happened with these is that when a customer purchased the car, they most often wanted a radio installed so the dealership technician would just cut a rectangular hole in the "delete" panel to fit the radio. The giveaway in identifying it as a former "delete" panel will be the absence of the normal cutout for the 8-track that all radio trim panels have. As was also previously mentioned, a hole would be cut into the fender to fit the antenna at that same time. With my T/A, the hole for the antenna was actually cut into the right front fender like any other Challenger would have been - a mistake made by the technician not knowing at that time that the T/A's got the antenna in the right quarter panel (I know this because my uncle was the Service Manager at the local dealership where my car was purchased back in 1970 and he told me he was the one who f'd that up.) This has since been changed. I am currently trying to repair my original "delete" panel by grafting in a section of ribbed dash material from a spare cluster surround but the ribs are just a bit tighter on that piece than they are on the radio trim panel. My next step is to get a new "delete" panel 3D printed so my "Day 1" restoration will be accurate. For now, there is a radio installed like it was when the original owner took delivery.

20140315_122152.jpg
20140315_122155.jpg
20140315_122459.jpg

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
that one year, 1970 and one car, challenger is a tough piece to find. I have only seen one ribbed delete plate for sale ever. I didn't buy it as I'm into cuda's. shoulda.
There is usually one delete plate a year that pops up for sale. They are out there but you have to be patient.

Grady Cain

Reaction score
QUOTE="Cuda Hunter, post: 101538, member: 119"]that one year, 1970 and one car, challenger is a tough piece to find. I have only seen one ribbed delete plate for sale ever. I didn't buy it as I'm into cuda's. shoulda.
There is usually one delete plate a year that pops up for sale. They are out there but you have to be patient.[/QUOTE]

I have been searching for 4 years and have not seen one. Man, if you ever see one up for sale, please let me know!!!

Tirekickertoo

Reaction score
WOW, Thanks Cuda Hunter and Grady Cain for your in depth replies. Unfortunately I decoded my fender tag and it appears the car came equipped with a 2 Watt AM Radio (Music Master). It was interesting to read how Mopar produced these cars with customer options of a radio or not and with the rarity today of the cover plates. I'll keep a lookout for one in my travels. Growing up my father had an AMC Ambassador without a radio. A factory dash radio cover plate was there but yet still had a right front fender antenna.

Thank you both for the information,

Tirekickertoo

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
looks like a 3d printer attempt.

that's where the "kinda" part came in to play.

Better than nothing if you want one and can't fine one but want to keep looking. temporary piece.

Grady Cain

Reaction score
I just messaged the seller. Hard to tell from the photos whether it is ribbed or smooth (my guess would be smooth). He has it listed for 70-74 E-body so I'm guessing it's intended for a rallye dash rather than the 70-only standard dash. Thanks for the heads-up Josh...

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
ah, yes of course. I didn't realize your looking for a delete plate with ribs. Good luck. I have not seen one at all. Not on a car not for sale and not reproduced.
I look for really hard to find parts and that one is about the hardest I have seen.
I think you may have to buy another ribbed radio and cut it up to mold it onto that radio piece. That's gonna be a tough one.

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Yes, like I stated before, in my opinion the most rare Mopar part on the planet! I'm going to try to have it 3D printed. I have enough of the original delete panel for a drawing to be made. Should work - I hope...

Back