• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rally dash clock repair?

Tirekickertoo

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 71 Challenger with a rally dash. The clock does not work and I read somewhere (possibly another form?) that there maybe a simple cleaning or repair that could be done to make the clock work? I believe it was cleaning electrical connections due to oxidation and corrosion? Has anyone tried this repair?

Thanks for your help,

Tirekickertoo

Adam

Reaction score
I have attempted to repair two factory clocks by cleaning the contact points inside. They are really neat little mechanisms, but they are a flawed design. The contact points will eventually burn/corrode and you will be stuck with a non-working clock. How many times do to want to pull your dash?

Just upgrade to one of the modern quartz movements, they are easy to install yourself, and the main difference you will see from the front, is that the clock works.

Quartz Conversion Clock Repair Kit R-3035 - Whitegauges.net

HooToTheCore

Reaction score
There are several ways the clock fails. The simplest to fix is if the gears and gear shaft pivot points simply need lubrication (use a clock oil). The other possibility that is easy is the contact point of the rewind solenoid is carbonized preventing contact (can be fixed with sandpaper). If the rewind solenoid is burned out, you'll need to replace it. Other failures are that some of the holes that various shafts fit into (pivot points) wear such that the gear will not be kept in proper alignment.

It is easy to test after repair. Just get a 12V power supply and connect + to the tab and - to the case.

Adam

Reaction score
On both of mine the clock internal mechanisms were pristine. Both had burned contact points that would stick together. The points can be filed, but this removes the plating that originally protected the points. Without the plating the points will not last very long (like a week or less). The points could possibly be replaced by soldering on new ones, but like original points I don’t think they would last a year... maybe somebody could source out some gold plated points, but the cost, expense, effort, doesn’t add up for me.

If someone wants to try and repair the original clock I would recommend they let it run for a week or two on the bench before installing it.

Last edited:

Tirekickertoo

Reaction score
Hello,
Thank you both for the reply's. Before I bought it, the car was sitting for a very long time. I assume the clock mechanism need lubrication. That may fix it for a while but for how long? I don't want to tear the dashboard cluster apart more than I have to. How easy is it to install the quartz conversion clock? Any special tools needed? The price for the conversion isn't too bad. What's the quality like? I see a lot of plastic pieces, are there instructions?

Thank you,

Tirekickertoo

tonysrt

Reaction score
I installed that kit back in the mid 80's in my 71 Cuda when they were $30 from J.C. Whitney. It is fairly easy to install but be gentle. I also bought a NOS clock from Jack's Auto for $40 back then. I should have bought all he had.

Reaction score
After fixing my clocks points a couple of times, I also bought an NOS clock from Jack"s auto it lasted about a year before it quit.
The quartz conversion is the way to go in my opinion

Adam

Reaction score
I would also recommend upgrading the tach and cluster voltage regulator (IVR3), while you have it out. These are both easy to do in a couple of hours. And no, I do not get any kick back from these guys, I just like their products. Years ago I sent a rally cluster into a well renowned gauge repair place, it took them almost a year, and WAY too much money... They charged me about 5 times the price of the parts, no cosmetic work either...

RTE 67-74 Tach kit - rte
RTE limiter - rte

Last edited:

Tirekickertoo

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the comments. I’ll look into purchasing the mentioned components when I pull the gauge cluster apart.

I have another question, what does everyone use to clean the gauge cluster and wood grain face/sticker. What “mild detergent” is safe to use. When purchased, my car sat for many years. The dashboard and gauge cluster are dirty/dusty. Will Windex work?, or will there be problems with the ammonia damaging the plastic and wood grain sticker? What cleaning products does everyone use?

Thank you,

Tirekickertoo

tonysrt

Reaction score
When using any cleaning products on the plastic make sure you use a micro fiber cloth to remove it, no paper towels.

Adam

Reaction score
Also, you can gently hand polish the plastic lens with a plastic polish, or extra fine buffing compound. It will look like new.

Back