• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rallye Gauges Drop during acceleration

Mopartwice

Reaction score
I have a 70 cuda with 71-74 rallye gauges. When driving the gauges often drop, sometimes all the way to zero. When slowing down or stopping they return to "true" levels. Is this a voltage regulator issue, gauge regulator, grounding issue, etc?

Looking for areas to explore.

don

AUSTA

Reaction score
I get the same with my Challenger Rallye gauges usually for around 3 seconds sounds like a faulty gauge regulator was pretty scary when i glanced down & the oil pressure was at zero
Same with temperature sometimes it goes to max then returns to 1/4

Mastertech

Reaction score
I had a similar problem years ago and found that the problem was caused by not having a good ground wire from the battery to the body beside the rad. If your not worried about being exatly OE you can also run a ground directly from the alternator case to the firewall under one of the voltage regulater mounting bolts.
Also this can be a problem with the instrument cluster voltage regulator. Anytime your in behind the instruments double check the ammeter connections as the come loose and overheat causing all kinds of electrical issues. All of the charginging current goes through two spade connectors in firewall bulk head connector and they also overheat and melt. When this happens it can be a pain to fix. All Mopars with ammeters have this problem and over the years I repaired many by removing the melted wires, drilling out the melted plastic with a 1/4" bit and then passing a 10 gauge wire through and soldering on both sides. Not elegent but solves the problem forever.

Back