• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rear End Issue

money pit

Reaction score
I was checking for a vibration in my driveline. I had the car up on jack stands and ran the car in drive. The wheel on the drivers side would turn, stop and turn again. It does this intermittently. The right side is okay. I have 3.23 gears with posi. When I drive, I would sometimes hear a clicking sound on the left rear side at low speed. I posted a link to the video.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I had a bad housing that would allow the axle to run off center & grab the brakes , causing a similar issue so check the housing end for out of round where the bearing cup sits .

money pit

Reaction score
I had a bad housing that would allow the axle to run off center & grab the brakes , causing a similar issue so check the housing end for out of round where the bearing cup sits .
Did you have to replace the housing?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Nope , the green brgs fit inside the same part of the housing , if the housing is damaged it will make no imprvement + green brgs never last like the tapered rollers do .

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
Can't you just cut the housing end off and weld on a new end? I'm sure I've seen new ones available. However I always see guys selling empty housing in the local buy/sell.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Welding the housing can warp it unless it is held straight while welding , probably easier to replace the housing .

john-9

Reaction score
check the endplay on the axles if ok it is time to pull the axles and check the bearings but bad axle bearings usually growl on turns , but this sounds like you have either broken spider or side gears in you carrier or if it is a cone type sure grip the spiders have welded themselves to the cross pin and are destroying the case

money pit

Reaction score
check the endplay on the axles if ok it is time to pull the axles and check the bearings but bad axle bearings usually growl on turns , but this sounds like you have either broken spider or side gears in you carrier or if it is a cone type sure grip the spiders have welded themselves to the cross pin and are destroying the case
I'm headed to the rear end shop tomorrow. I'll let you know what we find. Thanks.

MN71RT

Reaction score
If I had a spun race in the housing, any way to fix or need to replace?

money pit

Reaction score
Update: I had to replace the clutch plates in the posi. The vibration is still there. The rear end guy thinks there may be a problem with the trans. He said he has seen a problem with the tail shaft once. I read another thread that said the converter was pushed forward and damaged the thrust Thanks for your help.
I just had the posi rebuilt. The clutches were bad. The rear end guy thinks there is a problem with the transmission. That's the reason there is a vibration. I read on another thread that the front pump pushed the front of the converter forward and it broke the thrust bearing. The pinion angles are fine. I'm ready to install a LS (just kidding). Thanks for your help.

Back