• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rear End Removal

money pit

Reaction score
I'm removing my 7 1/4 rear end and replacing it with a 8 3/4. After I disconnect everything, what is the best way to remove it. I have the rear valance removed. Should I drop the rear shackles and roll it out? I head of people removing the rear end through the wheel well. Since I'll me doing most of the work by my self, I'm looking for the easiest and safest way to do it. Thanks

70chall440

Reaction score
Are you reusing the springs? If so, just remove the U bolts and shocks, then you have to man handle the housing out from one end and then slide it the opposite direction to get it out.

Or are you removing the entire unit (springs and housing)? If so, put some jack stands under the axle. You don't want a lot of upward pressure but you also dont want it hanging freely. Then I would remove the front end of the leaf springs, them move to the rear and undo the rear shackles. Then put a floor jack under the housing, jack it up and remove the jack stands, then lower it and drag it out from under the car.

moparleo

Reaction score
It is never safe to do this type of work by yourself. Especially if you have not done this before.
Think about the what if's..
It is very heavy and bulky. Properly placed jack stands, a good floor jack. Gloves. Clean work area.
Get a helper.

When installing the replacement assembly,
Use your service manual and watch the many videos on YouTube. Lots of different methods shown you just need to pick the parts that apply to what you are doing.
If you must do it yourself it will be easier if you don't have the differential and axles installed. It will be better balanced that way.
Have a clean work area, the right jack-stands and a good floor jack. Have all you tools and parts to be installed clean and handy.
Torque all fasteners. Specs in the Service Manual.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I have worked my whole life without help just be careful , dropping the rear shackles , cut the U bolts & disconnect park brake cables & driveshaft & roll it out , you will need new U bolts & different shock plates for the 8 3/4

70chall440

Reaction score
Yeah I am pretty much a "one man shop" and do 99% of everything myself. I would not hesitate to remove a rear end myself. Yes it is nice to have help but many times this is not an option. Just take your time and think through what you are doing.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I too work completely alone wether building a 12 foot walnut and steel dining room table or pulling the rear axle out of a car. Just really support the car better than you think you need to and think ahead through the whole process before turning a wrench or turning on a grinder. Presoak everything with a good penetrant, Kroil is the best.

Last edited:

rklein71

Reaction score
I parted out a four speed Cuda back in the early eighties. I removed the four speed by undoing all the bolts, tying a rope to the end of the tranny. I stood behind the car and gave the four speed a good yank with the rope and it just dropped to the dirt. Pulled it along the dirt until it was from under the car. Piece of cake!

moparlee

Reaction score
I parted out a four speed Cuda back in the early eighties. I removed the four speed by undoing all the bolts, tying a rope to the end of the tranny. I stood behind the car and gave the four speed a good yank with the rope and it just dropped to the dirt. Pulled it along the dirt until it was from under the car. Piece of cake!
I have heard of putting saw dust in transmission, but not dirt :lol:

moparleo

Reaction score
It is never safe to do this type of work by yourself. Especially if you have not done this before.
Think about the what if's..
It is very heavy and bulky. Properly placed jack stands, a good floor jack. Gloves. Clean work area.
Get a helper.

The point is not what you guys have done by yourselves. Not everybody has the experience and/or skill set.
I always err on the side of safety. How many times does it take to get injured ?? Only once.
The experts are the exception and if honest, know that it is always better to have an extra set of hands when dealing with large, heavy, bulky items.
How will you guys feel if someone get injured, loses a finger etc... when they didn't have to. I have been witness to it. Not good..

rklein71

Reaction score
I would like to point out that I have been injured by enthusiastic "helpers" who tug, pull, and push when I am not ready and I have had my fingers squashed and pinched because of the extra set of hands. Removing a rear end can be done safely by yourself. You have to remember a few simple concepts: stuff undone while suspended in the air will come crashing down, stuff compressed like springs will release and harm you if done improperly, cars will squash you if get under them without stable support. Cinder blocks and jacks are extremely unsafe and should never be used to support a vehicle that you are getting under.

heminut

Reaction score
Cinder blocks and jacks are extremely unsafe and should never be used to support a vehicle that you are getting under.
THAT right there!^^^^^ I lost my dad back when I was in high school because of a couple of bumper jacks!

When I put a car on jack stands (NOT jacks!) I always shake the crap out of the car to make sure it's stable before I ever get under it!

heminut

Reaction score
I have worked my whole life without help just be careful , dropping the rear shackles , cut the U bolts & disconnect park brake cables & driveshaft & roll it out , you will need new U bolts & different shock plates for the 8 3/4
This is exactly how I would do it if working by myself.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
THAT right there!^^^^^ I lost my dad back when I was in high school because of a couple of bumper jacks!

When I put a car on jack stands (NOT jacks!) I always shake the crap out of the car to make sure it's stable before I ever get under it!
Really sorry to hear that.

Back