• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rear frame rail repair

DesertCuda

Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I got under the back of the car to inspect and look for the ratio on the rear end. While I was down there, I saw this on the back driver's side. First, what is this thing there for? Second, whatever it is, I could probably rip it right off if I wanted to. Seems to be the only bad spot under the entire back, but it's bad. Rest of the drivers rail seem thinner than the passenger (scientific tapping test). What are my options? There seem to be repair caps available? Looking for wisdom.
IMG_20200506_124645.jpg

70chall440

Reaction score
Thats a factory tie down used when the car was originally shipped. you will need to cut out that section of frame and weld in a new piece, not that hard.

70chall440

Reaction score
Many people remove those tie downs for a variety of reasons, others keep them bc they want the originality (although I have read that the dealers were supposed to remove them).

fixing the frame isn't that hard if you have a welder, you need to cut an inch or two on either side and make as clean and straight cuts as possible. Use some 14 gage flat plate to make a new piece, spend the time to make it fit tightly. If you bevel both the edges of the replacement part and the existing frame, then weld it it in, you should be able to grind it off flat to the point where you will not even be able to tell (easily) that it was replaced. I would replicate the hole in the replacement part, there should be 2 threaded holes for that tie down which are basically nuts welded into the frame, recover them, clean them up and make sure the threads are good (of not, I think they are 1/2") and put them into the replacement part before you weld the whole thing in.

Time consuming but not super hard.

Adam

Reaction score
Get some type of rust converter/neutralizer to spray or brush inside the frame rail while you have access through the cut out area.

gzig5

Reaction score
It's not a bad job. I had to do both rails on mine where the sway bar mounts are. As long as you can cut back to some reasonably thick material it is straight forward to patch. Before you cut it out, support the back of the car so there isn't any droop when you cut out the cancer. Probably not needed but better safe than sorry

Back