• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rear glass removal?

Dusterkrazy

Reaction score
What kind of tool did you use to remove the window trim from the rear glass?

I have a tool from O' Reilly's but think there could be something that works better. Also, whats the best way to remove those old hard bits of weatherstripping from the window channel?

What kind of replacement weatherstrip did you go back with? What kind of bond is needed?

Adam

Reaction score
You can make or modify the trim tool; it has to have a somewhat sharp pointy end and a fulcrum to pry against, kinda looks like a comma. The pointy end has to get behind the clip and as you lever the tool to the side it will gently pry the clip back... but take it easy. The trim should pop up a little.

I use steel music wire and a couple of dowels to cut the old sealant all the way around, do not pry on the glass. You can soften up the remaining sealant with a heat gun, carefully!

You can buy 3M window sealer, it's called "Window Weld" I believe, at Napa or other auto parts stores. I believe the 3/8ths ribbon is the size you want, you should prob research that.. if the ribbon is too thin the window trim will be loose, too thick and it will be difficult to install.

The trim is stainless, good time to clean it up a little. If you have broken or rotten clips you must replace them before the window is reinstalled.

Lastly, a lot of these cars get rust in the lower corners of the back window because the trim holds dirt there.. if you have any surface rust you can treat it with a rust converter product and touch up paint to seal it.

72chally440

Reaction score
I second what Adam said only I did not use the music wire system. I used a Harbor Freight windshield Removal tool (http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=windshield+removal+tool $14.95). Have a partner use the heat gun to soften the area ahead of here you are cutting. If the knife does not rotate in easy find another spot to insert it. You have to get a feel for how the knife cuts, but once you get the hang of it the job is pretty easy.
Stop :stop::stop::stop::stop::stop::stop::stop: any time you feel resistance and start cutting from the other direction back toward the difficult area. I had a pretty rotten Deck panel below the window where small chunks of rusted metal interfered with a clean cut. By cutting back toward the difficult area I was able to join the cuts.

mmissile

Reaction score
Use a "cold knife" as shown above. Lots of water will lubricate the blade as it passes thru the butyl tape. Stay as low as possible, and STAY OFF THE GLASS EDGES!!! Tempered glass breaks so easy on it's edges when contacted by metal. You can also use piano wire with 2 people[wrap the wire around sticks for handles]. You saw back and forth. I worked in a couple glass shops, back when this stuff was common. Most of the cold knife blades are dull and too wide....we used a belt sander to sharpen/shape them.

KATSAAR

Reaction score
use wire and saw it back and forth
you put a metal tool against tempered glass your going to have an explosion.

Back