• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rear studs now too short with disk brake conversion

cuda 512

Reaction score
Hi,
I have 17" year one ralley rims on a 1970 cuda. This winter I have converted to Wilwood disk brakes.
The rear wheel studs are not long enough now after the disk brake conversion, (only 4 complete revolutions with wheel stud and tight)
Studs are 1/2" - 20 - 673 knurl and 1-19/32" long. I need studs 1/2" longer and having a hard time finding them.
Anyone had this issue?
Thanks,

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I have had similar issues , you can use 3" race studs & trim them down or thread the flanges & insert threaded wheel studs

Last edited:

cuda 512

Reaction score
I have had similar issues , you can use 3" rce studs & trim them down or thread the flanges & insert threaded wheel studs
Thanks for the reply Chryco.
I never thought of ARP. I’ll give them a call. Be the easiest option if they have them.
If I have to drill/tap rear axle flanges, I’m assuming a 3/4” thread tapped into flanges which tapers to 1/2” for the wheel studs.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Welcome to the site BTW , I used to live in Ab before I moved here .
When I used threaded studs mostly it was with new axles & they came threaded from Strange or Mark Williams etc . I always tack welded the studs so the could not unthread as the lugs were tightened up .

cuda 512

Reaction score
Welcome to the site BTW , I used to live in Ab before I moved here .
When I used threaded studs mostly it was with new axles & they came threaded from Strange or Mark Williams etc . I always tack welded the studs so the could not unthread as the lugs were tightened up .
Thankyou, I have the 8-3/4diff in the car. The axles with .673 knurl. I have a couple options now.
Alberta was a cold one this year with a lot of snow.

moparleo

Reaction score
Also depends on the type of lug nuts that the wheels use. A standard tapered seat needs a longer stud. A shouldered lug nut needs a longer shouldered nut. Thread engagement at a minimum is equal to the studs diameter. 1/2" stud= 1/2" engagement minimum.

cuda 512

Reaction score
Hi, Late replying but went with Doctor Diff new rear axles with 3" screw in studs.
I trimmed them to 2-1/4" long for the Year One ralley rims and wilwood disk brake upgrade.
Would have had to drill out the .673 knurl to press the .685 knurl longer studs on old axles - the cost here for machine shop to do the work is not far off the price of The Dr Diff axles which I am very pleased with.

Back