• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rebuild of stock proportioning valve

Steve340

Reaction score
I recently rebuilt my disc brake proportioning valve with a kit I purchased off Muscle Car Research. I found their website very informative on how to identify what valve I had, and how to strip and re-assemble it.
The kits are very reasonably priced/good quality and well worth purchasing.
The valve is not hard to rebuild so I would say have a go at it rather than buy new.
I eliminated the metering valve while all the parts were off the car - but I left it in place so it appears sort of stock and I did not have to replace brake hard lines. I have bled the brakes and all appears to be working well. A test drive is a way off yet.

70chall440

Reaction score
I rebuilt the one for my Cuda as well but then ended up not using it, rather I replaced it with one for a disc/disc set up. I agree that rebuilding them is probably better than trying to find a replacement.

Steve340

Reaction score
I agree - have seen posts from others saying the new valve was leaking. I guess if you do not have one or are changing to discs they are an option.
They are not a wear item but if you had a brake pipe leak you could not fix they may require replacement.

ZippyZoo

Reaction score
I also rebuilt the distribution/proportioning valve. I could not believe how much crud was inside - especially in the proportioning valve section! I'm still a long way from driving but have to believe getting all of the crud and sludge out - plus new seals- can only make things better!

Attachments

• IMG_1088.JPG
    IMG_1088.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 200

cuda joe

Reaction score
I got disk brakes of a 70 barracuda parts car years ago put in a master cyl from a 74 dart with power brakes hooked it up to the original 4 way drum brake lines works good still

cuda joe

Reaction score
i forgot to add 4 way drum brakes don;t come with a porportioning valve

Steve340

Reaction score
If the car is not over braked and locking the rears to early that is great.
My car has the factory disc set up but if I was adapting the car from drum to disc there are far easier/better ways to do the proportioning valve than the stock stuff.

cuda joe

Reaction score
i put in a little smaller rear brake pistons from a 90 jeep cherokee it's manual brakes no booster stops good. back does not lock up more pedal travel than 4 way disk brakes i tryed my low buck approach and surprisingly it works

Steve340

Reaction score
Right - smaller diameter wheel cylinders will do that either on the front or rear brakes.

Back