• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rebuild steering box?

ram250098

Reaction score
I have the same problem. I just want to get the summer out her before I change it. I used the Lucas Power Steering stop leak.
It depends on how bad the leak is but it has really reduced the amount it is leaking.
All it does is swell the seals...for $12 bucks a bottle it might be worth a try.
AL

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
You can change the lower seal , but I don't recommend rebuilding it yourself . Now is a good time to look at a better box like Firm Feel or Steer & Gear

74CudaDave

Reaction score
Mine was leaking like crazy from the top seal (below the coupler where the column shaft connects). I managed to find a replacement seal for about $8 and pop it in, leak fixed. After mentioning it to a few friends, they said they had the same trouble with Mopar's they've owned in the past. Worth a look, and a cheap fix.

ram250098

Reaction score
The Lucas stop leak has slowed the leak down alot, I would say it has cut 3/4 of the amount it was before.
Because my leak was bad I did what the instructions said and started to add a second bottle...who knows maybe it will stop all togther. I hear ya about the driveway...hey at least it won't rust in that spot ROTF...
Hope it works for ya.
AL

Brads70

Reaction score
Mine was leaking like crazy from the top seal (below the coupler where the column shaft connects). I managed to find a replacement seal for about $8 and pop it in, leak fixed. After mentioning it to a few friends, they said they had the same trouble with Mopar's they've owned in the past. Worth a look, and a cheap fix.

Was it easy to replace? Did you do it in the car? Where did you get the seal? Any part #'s? I ask as mine is leaking there too. I've put 3 bottles of Lucas through it and it still leaks about a quarter size spot on the garage floor after I drive it.
Thanks Brad

74CudaDave

Reaction score
I'll see if I can dig up the number for you. It was fairly easy, although I had the engine out of the car at the time. But once you have the column shaft coupler off (which was the hardest part I had to deal with, it was siezed on there pretty good), a trick that was given to me on another board was to carefully drill a small hole in the metal part of the seal, screw in a small self-tapping sheet metal screw, and use that to pop it out. Worked like a charm.

Brads70

Reaction score
I'll see if I can dig up the number for you. It was fairly easy, although I had the engine out of the car at the time. But once you have the column shaft coupler off (which was the hardest part I had to deal with, it was siezed on there pretty good), a trick that was given to me on another board was to carefully drill a small hole in the metal part of the seal, screw in a small self-tapping sheet metal screw, and use that to pop it out. Worked like a charm.

Sounds eay enough! :icon_thumleft: I just have my column out at the moment with starter issues.... so now might be the perfect time?

74CudaDave

Reaction score
Here's the seal info I have:

Manufacturer - SKF (Made in USA)
6141 is the partnumber on the box
Numbers from Label/Barcode -85311004244 (might be local part store's code)
As well as 042E
And CRWA1 R

This seal was actually slightly thicker than the original, which was goos because it put the actual rubber of the seal away from the slight groove worn into the steering gear which will hopefully help it seal longer (made sure the shaft was nice and clean/smooth).

Good lick, mine went easy. No leaks since (500 miles)

Brads70

Reaction score
Here's the seal info I have:

Manufacturer - SKF (Made in USA)
6141 is the partnumber on the box
Numbers from Label/Barcode -85311004244 (might be local part store's code)
As well as 042E
And CRWA1 R

This seal was actually slightly thicker than the original, which was goos because it put the actual rubber of the seal away from the slight groove worn into the steering gear which will hopefully help it seal longer (made sure the shaft was nice and clean/smooth).

Good lick, mine went easy. No leaks since (500 miles)

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Back