• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Recommendations on 1970 power disc brake replacement M/C

383RT

Reaction score
Anybody have any luck on a particular brand of replacement master cylinder? They all seem to be made in China now.

Also wondering if anyone can clarify the discrepancy in the Pumping Points article:(http://therammaninc.com/files/categ...uide_to_Mopar_Master_Cylinders_1967-19746.pdf) it states a 70’ E Body except 426 Hemi master cylinder (2944453) has a 1” bore, but the factory manual says it’s 1 1/8” bore.

aussiemark

Reaction score
Could you get your original one repaired? you can get a stainless steel sleeve fitted if it is really bad and this type of repair will make it last forever.

383RT

Reaction score
My master cylinder is not original to the car. It's an aftermarket unit from a few years back. I just thought that since it's not an original, I wouldn't put any money into it.

383RT

Reaction score
Yep. Looking around right now to see what I can find.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Confirming that you have disc brakes
That being the case, the 2229171 has become hard to find and commands a premium price these days.
Ram man will have the unit at times; his prices tend to be very high.
Units come up that need a rebuild on e bay at times and sellers ask for $300 and up.
The original unit would have the "thermometer" front.
When I started to rebuild my 70 factory disc brake e body (non-hemi) I had the 171 unit, interestingly it was the correct unit but the date code was from 1975. Apparently my master was replaced after my car was about 5 years old with a correct cast number unit and later date. The cover did not have the original notice engraved on top like the original unit.
The aftermarket replacement units seem to all be 1 1/8 in bore which will work in a pinch. I picked up several new units to see what was out there;

Stamping on my 1975 original;
IMG_0657.JPG

Next pic shows the "thermometer front"
340 engine compartment Dino.JPG

The 171 unit was remanufactured and
sold for about a 7 year period and there should be some of them out there. On occasion people still find original new units in a box at swap meets/car show markets.
Some people like the quality of the Centric Units if you have to go for a replacement while you look for an original.
Good luck with the search

130.63055_Catalog.jpg

383RT

Reaction score
Yeah, I see the originals can be pricey. I’m going to check with a local parts house and see what rebuilt ones they have. Maybe I’ll get lucky and find an original. They have lots of old inventory. I just bought a rebuilt KH stock caliper for $35 bucks from Centric.

Thanks for the info!

340challconvert

Reaction score
I bought some Centric brake parts too. (calipers, MC,) moparleo, a FEBO veteran had suggested buying Centric to me a few years back. Looks to be of decent quality. The MC's are new, not rebuilt units. I figure, I can always have my 171 unit rebuilt if I get the urge.
Dino2 (1).gif

340challconvert

Reaction score
I checked out the ramman's web site
As usual, he has a 171 unit rebuilt for $995. Did not list a date code for the unit. Technically, it could be anywhere from 1969 to 1977.
MOPAR 2229191

Back