• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Remote left mirror installation help needed on 70 Challenger

roadrunner

Reaction score
I'm putting a remote mirror in a car that never had one and I have a few questions.
1) Which hole in the inner door skin does the joystick mount through? I thought I'd find a "D" shaped hole but no such clue seems to exist.
2) Does the joystick mount rigidly to the inner door skin, or does it just pass through and mount rigidly to the interior door panel?
3) I have the chrome bezel, but am I missing perhaps some kind of a keyed washer backing plate, and if so where can I get one?
4) Where do the two cable routing clips snap into; I can tell that the cable needs to loop in front of the glass, but I dont see any obvious locations to snap these two clips into?
5) How can I tighten up the retaining nuts in my outer door skin and keep them from spinning during installation?
Thanks!!

photo 4.JPG

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

moparleo

Reaction score
The parts you need are available from most restoration supply companies. The adjustment knob mounts to the door panel. You need the mounting plate that goes on the backside of the doorpanel and the chrome bezel that screws on from the outside of the panel. If your mounting screws are loose, you can also get new mounting nuts. They press fit into the mounting holes and are knurled so they won't spin when tightening the mount screws.

burdar

Reaction score
The remote goes through the larger hole...right above the big opening. There is a thin rectangular plate that pushes onto the remote before it goes through the door panel. I've got some extras. Send me your address and I'll throw one in the mail.

The 70 and maybe 71 Challenger uses an extra bracket that is bolted inside the door by the hinges. This bracket has a large hole in it that the cables go through. I'm not sure if you HAVE to have that bracket or if you can push those plastic retainers into one of the holes by the door hinges.

Ask around to some bodyshops and see if someone has the tool for the nutserts. I've heard of people being able to tighten them up with the proper tool. I've also heard of people holding them with pliers from the back side. The right way to do it is to replace them.

RJH

Reaction score
This is the bracket used on early 70 challengers. $50 plus the ride. P.m me if interested.

RJH

Reaction score
Helps if I load the photo.

DSCN2426.JPG

DetMatt1

Reaction score
This is the bracket used on early 70 challengers. $50 plus the ride. P.m me if interested.
We have a forum for selling things. What you should do is post this up in parts for sale with a link to this thread. You’d have a better chance of selling it.

RJH

Reaction score
I'M SORRY . My intention was to show him what he needed.Most challenger owners have never seen some of the (1970) one year only stuff on a challenger.I only added the last comment ,thinking my car been off the road since 1982 and probably be off the road another 10 years. He needs it more than I do, besides if he buys it I would need to make or buy one for my car. I was trying to help Roadrunner out,not someone looking for good deals to flip

RJH

Reaction score
Roadrunner . If you look at your second picture you can see that you have not installed your outside glass guides that prevent the glass from putting excessive pressure on your door whiskers . This is what they look like , the larger of the two is the one you don't see in your picture

DSCN2444.JPG

SRKlegin

Reaction score
The remote goes through the larger hole...right above the big opening. There is a thin rectangular plate that pushes onto the remote before it goes through the door panel. I've got some extras. Send me your address and I'll throw one in the mail.

The 70 and maybe 71 Challenger uses an extra bracket that is bolted inside the door by the hinges. This bracket has a large hole in it that the cables go through. I'm not sure if you HAVE to have that bracket or if you can push those plastic retainers into one of the holes by the door hinges.

Ask around to some bodyshops and see if someone has the tool for the nutserts. I've heard of people being able to tighten them up with the proper tool. I've also heard of people holding them with pliers from the back side. The right way to do it is to replace them.
Man I could use one of the retangular plates for my 72 Barracuda. Have any spares, sir? I can't seem to locate mine...had everything in bags and that all but disappeared

Back