• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Removing clutch rod from pedal

Jimmmmmay

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have the dash out of my 71 challenger at the moment and figured I'd replace my clutch rod boot while I'm in there. I can't figure out how in the world to get the clutch rod disconnected from the pedal after removing the clip on the pedal's pin. This is for a small block, so it's just a solid rod and the kind that doesn't have an adjustment bolt on it. The rod always seems to have tension on the pin, so the eye of the rod doesn't want to slide off. Any help, advice, or steps would be appreciated!

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The lower rod by the behousing where it goes thro the release fork is where the adjustment is located , shorten the rod to get more pedal travel , you may be able to pull up on the pedal to get enough play to remove the rod .
The proper adjustment should have the pedal moving about 3/4 " down [free play] before starting to release the clutch .

Jimmmmmay

Reaction score
The lower rod by the behousing where it goes thro the release fork is where the adjustment is located , shorten the rod to get more pedal travel , you may be able to pull up on the pedal to get enough play to remove the rod .
The proper adjustment should have the pedal moving about 3/4 " down [free play] before starting to release the clutch .

Thanks Chryco. I was able to get the rod off the clutch pedal after stuffing some scrap 2x4 pieces between the z bar and firewall. That took the tension off of the rod in the car enough to get it off the pin on the pedal. After some fighting and swearing, I got the new boot on there. Thanks again for the info.

Back