• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Replacement HeadLamp Fit Frustration

doubleyellow

Reaction score
Guys,

Bought replacement Sylvania 5001 and 5006 headlamps for 1970 Challenger. One of the 3 glass raised tabs IS NOT in the same radial location as the original lamps. 2 of them are in the right location, but the third one is off angle by about 10 to 15 degrees. Was going to try to grind it off, but first would like you guys to tell me if these Sylvania's are even going to work, or there is another option that fits properly. Please advise. Thanks

Adam

Reaction score
Sometimes the inner mount, bucket, or whatever it’s called has been swapped. The high and low beams have different locating tabs. Check to see if the lows and highs buckets are the same on each side, I bet they are not...

doubleyellow

Reaction score
The buckets are correct. Both 5001 and 5006 Sylvania I got from O-Reilly AutoParts has 1 tab in the wrong location. What are all the rest of you Challenger owners using for replacement headlamps? Which brand and source? Please advise, thanks

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Seems you have the correct part # , weird that the locating tab is wrong , i wonder if it is a bad batch or if they miscast them as high beam ? I cannot see a reason why the mold would change after all these decades !
Can you locate a different brand name at a different store ? Wagner , Phillips , GE ?
You could upghrade the whole lighting system by going to an H4 reflector & LED lights such as this 1 PAIR 5 3/4" ROUND H5006/5001 H4 CONVERSION HEADLIGHT+H4 LED WHITE BULBS HLR5LF | eBay

Adam

Reaction score
Weird. But crap happens. Once I got an Mopar 899 oil filter (number painted on the side) that would not screw on, turned out the threaded hole was too small. Pisser because I pre-filled it so I could not return it, and did not have another to finish the job... 2010 Challenger 5.7 Hemi.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
yes stuff happens , I bet Sylvania does not make a lot of these anymore , just small batches , could be using the wrong glass mold

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I've run into this problem a few times. I took a Dremel and notched the headlight bucket.

quapman

Reaction score
Maybe they're metric, designed for the European market. :p

doubleyellow

Reaction score
What I did was grind down the 1 mis-located glass tab. Since it is cast glass I used a masonry wheel and went very slowly. Got the tab ground away without any apparent cracks. Can I test the bulbs by running them across a portable jump starter? Thanks

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I believe I did above !!
great that you were able to grind the glass without losing the vacuum seal !!

Back