• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Replacement radio

sportster2000

Reaction score
One of the many things that my car didn't come with, a radio. (74 challenger) No way am I spending $600 on a radio to make it look factory when nothing else about the car is original. Will a newer single disc cd player radio fit in that spot without modification? If not what has to be done to make it fit?

DrEamer

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, anything that is considered single DIN size will fit. At least it fit in my 1972 Challenger back in the day without any real trouble.

tonysrt

Reaction score
The new radios suck. They have tiny buttons for changing stations, no volume control knob or tuning knob. My Sony has SRC for turning on and off. Who did they design these things for? The first button on the left in the tuning buttons is the menu button. You have take your eyes off the road to make any kind of adjustment.

HemiMetal

Reaction score
Recommend a Bluetooth Amp mount behind the back of the back seat or under the package shelf its close to rear speakers easy wiring then connect power and ground good to go. Just installed a JBL from Crutchfield if you use a smart phone your music library is available and if subscribing to internet Sirius XM put that on the smart phone will have Satellite then also works as hands free phone. I was able to keep dash stock with the original AM radio that was rebuilt and still works great. The AMP is 100 Watts per channel for $129 and picked up some great 6x9s for $120.

IMG_1053.jpeg.jpg

sportster2000

Reaction score
HemiMetal, just cause of you I looked at the new units online and I can get a radio receiver that everything that you suggested. I would have just gone with a standard unit but I'm trying to embrace technology and really open up my options. There are ones out there that I can control with my phone, didn't know that was possible. Still not sure how much I'd be listening to it over the exhaust.

HemiMetal

Reaction score
Ha! Sportster2000 way to go. Yes meant to mention that option, agree on the exhaust...I found best song is to combine the Exhaust Note with background of a Great Tune from the period go together very well. I'm not the best with Tech I am 60 but found some decent tech items out there easy to master. Built a play list on my Itunes / Iphone with songs from the top 100 of 1969 - 1970 blends very nicely with the exhaust and there is always a mute button on tunes... haha!

Back