• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Restoring T/A

FLpenguin

Reaction score
Sorry for being a long-time "lurker," but finally decided for this new year I want to go ahead and finish the restoration of my T/A (hemi orange, auto, black vinyl top) before I croak...I have all the parts for the car and most of the restoration has been completed (engine, suspension, dash, wheels, tires, transmission, etc.) but the car needs the fenders hung, needs final paint, and then put back together. I guess my question is: Is it worth contacting any of these show on TV? I have looked some of them up (e.g., Fantomworks) and their rates seem pretty reasonable (75-85/hour for restoration; 125 for electrical). Are there any other options? I bought the car from a close friend who needed the money for a tractor and I really didn't want a "project" car but felt I should help him out. We got hit by Hurricane Michael in October and two pine trees fell on the shop where he was working on it (slowly, of course!) and nearly hit the car, so now I am scared to leave it there and want to get it done. Any suggestions? Thanks, Marty in Tallahassee, Florida.

KATSAAR

Reaction score
if your not upside down monetarily into it pay somebody to finish it.
so you can enjoy it for a while.

FLpenguin

Reaction score
if your not upside down monetarily into it pay somebody to finish it.
so you can enjoy it for a while.
Actually, I'm not that bad into it overall; there just aren't a lot of shops around here that I would trust to finish the car the way it should be done. I would be willing to haul it someplace reputable.

Mopars & Missiles

Reaction score
Actually, I'm not that bad into it overall; there just aren't a lot of shops around here that I would trust to finish the car the way it should be done. I would be willing to haul it someplace reputable.

But by the sounds of this statement, you soon will be. "Reputable shops" especially the TV ones? You're a funny guy! Best of luck with your project. :thumbsup:

I agree though, finding a shop you can trust is the problem we all are faced with.

Last edited:

FLpenguin

Reaction score
But by the sounds of this statement, you soon will be. "Reputable shops" especially the TV ones? You're a funny guy! Best of luck with your project. :thumbsup:

I agree though, finding a shop you can trust is the problem we all are faced with.
lol..I guess that is somewhat of an oxymoron ("reputable TV show")! I did some research and found a shop in Wisconsin (MCR) that sounded good on the surface, but after calling them, they want $500 up front "to be placed on our waiting list," and then six months wait on the "waiting list," and then 1.5-2 years to finish the job! If I don't do something before spring comes, then maybe putting it on the selling block might be the best alternative......M

moparlee

Reaction score
Are you capable of doing the final assembly work? If you are, find a shop near your area that could do the body work, paint, and panel fitment. @challenger6pak lives in the West Palm Beach area and maybe has some leads for you in the Florida area.

FLpenguin

Reaction score
Are you capable of doing the final assembly work? If you are, find a shop near your area that could do the body work, paint, and panel fitment. @challenger6pak lives in the West Palm Beach area and maybe has some leads for you in the Florida area.
Thanks, if I recall I may have already bought some parts for the car from him so I should probably give that a shot....M

FLpenguin

Reaction score
Those TV shops wouldn't get a T/A right. Too many special items.
You are probably right..but doesn't that guy on "Graveyard Carz" (Richard Rawlings?) claim to be a Mopar guru of sorts? (I know..everyone give an eye roll and say under your breath, 'Yeah, me too!')

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Graveyard Carz is Mark Worman and yes, he knows Mopars but if you did decide to go that route, I'm certain your car would be tied up for years in the queue and you would spend an ass-load of money. You are just looking for body work and paint, correct? You have to decide how much you are prepared to spend on it. That will be the jumping off point in weeding out which shops to consider for the project. I had a private guy quote me $25K to do my A12 and a very high-end, award-winning Mopar restoration shop up here on the East Coast tell me it would be around $40-45K. THIS IS JUST FOR BODY WORK AND PAINT and me bringing them a shell on a rotisserie! Bottom line is you have to trust beyond a shadow of a doubt who you let work on your car. Good luck man...

FLpenguin

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the insights...I hope to be on here more frequently after I make a decision, especially with Grady Cain, as I see your avatar has a T/A, so you might have to be a resource for me in putting her back together. Of course (hint, hint) if anyone wants to jump on in to another project, I know where there's a great EV2 T/A ready and waiting! M

FLpenguin

Reaction score
IMG_3042.JPG

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the insights...I hope to be on here more frequently after I make a decision, especially with Grady Cain, as I see your avatar has a T/A, so you might have to be a resource for me in putting her back together. Of course (hint, hint) if anyone wants to jump on in to another project, I know where there's a great EV2 T/A ready and waiting! M

Always happy to help! Feel free to check out my restoration thread for some T/A eye candy... www.forebodiesonly.com/forum/threads/my-t-a-restoration.15117/

Back