• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Right front wheel locks up! help

Big J

Reaction score
1970 challenger 11" brakes. I put new wheel bearings and seal in place. National bearing # A 2 and A 6 seal # 8121-S. packed with grease and put hub on. Turns fine . I turn the jam nut untill it would not turn then backed it off 1/2 turn. Then put my wheel on and tightened it down. The wheel would not turn. Help. Thanks.

moparleo

Reaction score
Will the drum turn by hand if you only take the wheel off ? Is this the same wheel that was on before you had the problem ? Normally you would only back the nut off one notch back to line up cotter pin with castle nut notch.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Makes no sense , the Drum & Hub are swedged together as 1 piece , so it turns fine without the wheel on but put the wheel on & it stops turning ?
is the brg preload correct basically tighten it up hard & back it off 1 flat side of the nut max usually less , all I can think is the brgs are too losse & the wheel is twisting the hub so the brakes grab .

Big J

Reaction score
Sorry when I got the car someone change the 1 piece hub/ drum with 1 hub and 1 drum. yes the hub turns and the drum turns ,but when I put my wheel on and lugs nut snug the wheel will not turn. I will tighten up the nut to max then back it off just one side. The brake shoes have nothing to do with the wheel not turning. I taken off all the brake shoes and still have the problem. The wheel will not turn when I tighten up the lug nuts. This is driving me nuts.......

RJHJR

Reaction score
Maybe the bearings are not fully seated and when the wheel load is on it sags and hits the backing plate?

moparleo

Reaction score
I will ask again, did you have this problem before you replaced the bearings ? Have you tried to just install the lug nuts without the rim to check for binding of the drum ? If it is just one side doing it, remove the hub/drums on both fronts and compare all the parts. If they look the same try installing the drums/hubs on the opposite sides and recheck with just lug nuts installed. Take a couple of pictures of what you have, it may help us to help you.

Big J

Reaction score
Sorry that I did not get back with you all. I Had issues with my password to get in this site. The brake problem is fixed. The bearings were the problem.
Thanks for all your help.

Back