• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rust on roof- how to treat with bracing in the way?

ChallngeAccpted

Reaction score
Hey guys, just ordered my headliner but before it goes on, I want to get rid of the rust on the underside of the roof. I was about to pull out the seats and take my wire wheel and get to work, but how am I supposed to remove the rust with the bracing in the way?! Thank you ahead of time.

F2CA829A-FA26-46CD-B331-DB69DB5FD930.jpeg

817DC960-B30F-4057-A8F1-3EF2E5E64FE5.jpeg

FCF47DA6-589A-4DA5-9CF0-C379C39F74F4.jpeg

Adam

Reaction score
Some rust converter products leave a sticky residue & directions will have you rinse the product off, this will promote flash rusting; Do not do it. If working on an exterior panel use the product as directed then dilute the mixture to mostly water and wipe the residue off, before it drys. On your roof the residue will not matter, but make sure the product does not need to be removed or neutralized. For me, I like “OSPHO“. You can get it at Home Depot; you put it on full strength and leave it on to dry. Also, it can be painted over or top coated with “Boom mat” sound deadening spray or similar stuff.

SEM also makes a ready to spray etching primer, it’s excellent. Etching primer is good for light surface rust on body panels & parts, but in this case with the heavier rust I would still recommend OSPHO.

Last edited:

gzig5

Reaction score
Eastwood has an aerosol rust converter product that comes with a long flexible tube that you can fish into closed spaces like frame rails or the behind the roof support areas.

PlumCrazyRTSE

Reaction score
This is what I used for the rust on my roof. It left a nice rust free surface to apply the Dynamat to. I picked it up at Lowes.
CameraZOOM-20201209124634339.png

ChallngeAccpted

Reaction score
Hey everyone, little update. So I wire wheeled the roof and was able to get under the braces like I was originally asking about. Por 15’ed the roof and now going to install some sound deadening! Headliner should be in shortly!

B1FF4884-E2A1-4EA9-BBD6-10725E6C975C.jpeg

Adam

Reaction score
No offense, but you didn’t neutralize the rust? You might be ok, but don’t just rely on POR 15. In the future please neutralize the rust.... I’ve been doing this a long time and I wouldn’t steer you wrong. Plus, its not very expensive or time consuming to do so.

SRKlegin

Reaction score
No offense, but you didn’t neutralize the rust? You might be ok, but don’t just rely on POR 15. In the future please neutralize the rust.... I’ve been doing this a long time and I wouldn’t steer you wrong. Plus, its not very expensive or time consuming to do so.
I will take your advice when I rip-off my vinyl top that has visible corrosion bulges around the windows I will take pics and hopefully get some good advice on this project when I get to that point. Thanks Adam. :)

Back