• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rv2 compressor wiring question

mitchell

Reaction score
Does anybody know how the Rv2 compressor turns on? I see the one wire going to the clutch from the low pressure switch on the drier. But when I try to jump it to see if it works, nothing happens. Is there a ground in the compressor itself I can’t find anything anywhere on it.

moparleo

Reaction score
The compressor does not "turn on". You are only energizing the compressors' clutch when you add power.
Unless the engine is running you may only hear a click.

Last edited:

mitchell

Reaction score
The compressor does not "turn on". You are only energizing the compressors clutch when you add power.
Unless the engine is running you may only hear a click.
Ok so when I hook up the wire coming out of the clutch to a 12 volt source, I should hear it click because I’m just trying to test the clutch. But when I hook it up there is no click, so either it isn’t energizing, or the clutch needs to be replaced.

HooToTheCore

Reaction score
The clutch is likely fine. The electromagnet wiring might be open. You will need to remove the belt, center bolt and clutch/pulley assembly and put an ohm meter on the electromagnet coil (there should be two leads). You may need to remove the coil from the compressor (3 screws) to get to the leads. Not sure what the reading should be, but not infinite ohms, which is an open circuit.

Jm73340

Reaction score
Also in case you’re not aware, the compressor clutch needs to be grounded. Just applying 12v to the wire does not complete the circuit. The clutch is usually Grounded through the compressor.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Yeah I know you wanted a straight answer.

1972_barracuda_accessory_1.jpg

The low pressure switch cuts power the clutch when low on Freon. AC selector switch feeds power to low switch when selected.

Last edited:

moparleo

Reaction score
OK. I assumed ( Bad word) that you have the ignition on, the a/c turned on and have power to the low side switch. If not there is no current flowing to the pressure switch.
A quick check would be to start the engine, turn on the a/c and momentarily apply 12 volts to the wire going from the switch to the compressor. Even if empty the clutch will engage if the coil is working.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
OK. I assumed ( Bad word) that you have the ignition on, the a/c turned on and have power to the low side switch. If not there is no current flowing to the pressure switch.
A quick check would be to start the engine, turn on the a/c and momentarily apply 12 volts to the wire going from the switch to the compressor. Even if empty the clutch will engage if the coil is working.
Or just jump low switch with wire. wire to wire.

Back