• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

SHIFTER ?

deaks

Reaction score
I didn't want to hijack the thread below so decided to start my own. I have a 70 challenger with centre console and a quicksilver ratchet with reverse pattern vb. Besides the fact that it looks quite ugly on top of the console, it doesn't shift very well. Often it wont find 3rd and struggles to engage reverse.
What shifter works well with the console, i'm thinking of changing it back to a forward pattern vb with shift kit and stock shifter but the console looks like it's been cut bigger than the shift gate to accommodate the ratchet so i would have to repair that and try and get some sticky woood finish to cover it.
Mick

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Yep, I'd switch it back to original, nothing works as good. Plenty of parts to be had both used and aftermarket. I'd start right here in this forums classifieds.

rbbruno3

Reaction score
Post up an ad in the wanted section. I'm sure someone here has what your looking for. Also for aftermarket check the sponsors on the right. Classic Industries would have the top plate.

Ishman

Reaction score
I had showed this in another thread but this is the hurst quarterstick with pistol grip, which I installed. I also have a reverse pattern vlavebody, the shifter seems to work and shift fine. I did have the factory automatic and swapped to the https://www.coperacingtrans.com/index.php?cPath=97_122&osCsid=273d3b03db2e16548ec783495f4168f1 shift-r-gate and that works very well but wanted a different look.
shift1.jpgshift2.jpg

shift1.jpg

shift2.jpg

deaks

Reaction score
MMISSILE
I'm slightly worried about the shifter being worn if it's old and not shifting right, i will email you.
Ishman
That looks very neat and i've heard good things about the quarter stick but i notice there's no gate to see what gear your in.

Ishman

Reaction score
MMISSILE
Ishman
That looks very neat and i've heard good things about the quarter stick but i notice there's no gate to see what gear your in.

That is true, but with the quarterstick it is easy to determine which gear you are in. The reverse and park are not accessible unless you press the lower release lever to go in reverse and pull the pistol grip lever to go to park, and since I have a manual reverse valve body, 1 shifts easily to 2 and you must pull the pistol grip lever to move to third. I find that I easily know what gear is engaged, especially since I use 1,2,3 due to the manual nature of the VB.

Also, I find that I never really look to see what gear my vehicle is in even in my everyday truck. Perhaps it has become intuitive. :icon_wink:
Thanks
Ishman

deaks

Reaction score
Other than the cable and fittings at the trans, would it be the same as the chrysler unit ?
What shifters and fittings do you have and are they in good working order. ?
Just trying to decide which way to go.
cheers Mick

Ishman

Reaction score
This is the model number 3162014 - HURST PISTOL QUARTER STICK - A727/A904 - W/REVERSE PATTERN VALVE BODY that I had. needed the reverse pattern so 1-2, and trigger for 2-3.

deaks

Reaction score
IMAG0242.jpgDiscovered a couple of reasons why the shifter dont work well, the cable is melted despite having a heat protective sleeve and the fitting that goes on the shift lever is upside down making it tight to the the trans case, i've flipped it over, ordered a new cable and i'm goint to try and loop it under the trans pan to keep it away from the headers. Also i cant see the blocker pins on the shift mechanism, so they may be missing. I've took the top plate off which has been cut extensively and i'm going to try and mount the shifter lower and make a new top plate.
Here's a pic of the shifter, can anyone see the blocker pins ? because i cant.

IMAG0242.jpg

deaks

Reaction score
Turns out mine was only 3 spd and an earlier model that didn't have the blocker pins according to the B & M guy.
Last weekend i took the car to the track and it shifted without problems, i ran a 12.35 at 111 mph best but didn't go beyond the first round in the gamblers even with a .08 light, him .02 after a rerun due to oil in his lane from the previous car. Still, had a good time caught up with some friends, bench raced along with a few beers and generally chilled out.
Here's a pic of our cars in the pit mine's the blue 70.
Mick

mope_corner_163.jpg

Back