• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Sitting for 30+ years.

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
I started disassembling my 340 last nite thats been sitting for 30+ years. There was some surface rust in the intake/exhaust ports and lifter galley. I had rotated it some to make sure it was free and ck the timing chain but that had a load of play. I am now tearing the heads off to check the cyl walls etc. The cam thats in it is an old trw tp-156. Lobes look fine but i have a 508 purple shaft old style grind which i might install while im in there. Anybody ever use that trw cam? If its a good fit for the car, i might just keep it in there. 71 challenger RT 340 4 sp and not sure of gears but most likely stock for the car. I dont want to run a junk cam if thats what it is. Also while draining the anti freeze, which actually did drain, some clumpage came out of there. Hope it aint that corona virus crap! Lol. Input is much appreciated!

20200131_232943.jpg

20200131_201620.jpg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The TRW cams are usually just a stock replacement cam & in Mopars usually not even close to as good as the stock cam , The Mopar 508 cam is an Ok choice also but more modern grinds should be a big improvement , such as the Lunati Voodoo series cams designed for Mopars not just Chev grinds on Mopar blanks. The 508 cam has a lot of duration for not a lot of lift meaning it is not a great street cam FYI

Last edited:

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
Dug the whole way to china and gonna go the whole 9 yards as it should be. Thought i was gonna do some maintence but gotta do it right. None of that 1/2 fast crap with this car. Will be back together in no time and these e bodies are so easy to work on compared to the a body.

Back